Thread: PC Makers Sued Over JPEG Use

PC Makers Sued Over JPEG Use

Do you want to make alot of money, simple, take out a patent on something that is used as a standard and then sue every one that uses it.
    Forgent Networks sued 31 companies this week for allegedly infringing on a patent for a data compression technique used in the JPEG standard for digital images.
    The kicker being :
    The procedure used to compress digital images in order to create a JPEG file infringes on Forgent's patent for a similar method of digital image compression, the Austin, Texas, company alleges.
    But catch this:
    In 2002, Forgent announced it held this patent, and said it planned to seek licensing agreements from any company that sells products that compress or store digital images.
    Now why did they wait untill 2002.
    And of course the contention is:
    The Independent JPEG Group (IJG) said in 2002 that Forgent's patent was related to a different type of compression technology than the one used by the JPEG standard. A representative from IJG could not immediately be reached for comment.
    I would be interested in just when Forgent first patented this, and of course why they waited untill 2002 to start complaining that every one was infringing on their patent.
    Here is the source.
    (note to HT -- I checked the spelling of source this time....lol)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

/me attempts to paten GIF. If they can do it why can't I? I can make a lot of money off of this.
    But why didn't they sue Microsoft?
    Microsoft was not part of this lawsuit, even though the Windows operating system and the Internet Explorer browser are two of the most prominent products that use JPEG technology. Forgent is in licensing discussions with Microsoft, but has not reached an agreement, Noonan says.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

nearly as good as BT (british telecom) claiming it owned the patent to hyper links!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...fe/1814080.stm

v_Ln

Hmmmmmmmmm?

Is there any relationship between Forgent and SCO?

Apart from the slime

Originally posted here by valhallen
    nearly as good as BT (british telecom) claiming it owned the patent to hyper links!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...fe/1814080.stm

v_Ln

One Greedy F***er.

That article just boggles the mind. I hope that 1968 video can refute BT's case.
    -r.p.