Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: well goodbye to you

I enjoy reading, especially if it happens to concern a topic of my interest. Since I pretty much am interested in anything related to technology, I would probably like it and try my best to understand every part. All I really need to know is a good start point. Do I start out learning a code like C++, or do I dive into a document about security holes in Windows 98 Second Edition. Any "starting lines" that you could recommend to a knowledge thirsty neophyte?

-r.p.

It really depends what you want to do with it....

If you are interested in network security, I'm basically clueless, and I'm the first to admit it. If you are interested in forensics, then we can talk.

A lot of people, it seems, think that if they can drop to a command prompt, then they will be uber elite (I'm not saying that's the case here ) It will impress people that don't know what you are doing, but anybody that does know what they are doing will spot you as a fake...

My suggestion, for what it is worth, is learn about securing your own box. If you try and absorb everything here, all you are going to do is get frustrated. Set a goal you can realistically acheive. Depending on your operating system, there are any number of guides available... and while you are learning to lock down your own box, you might even be able to learn how to remove a virii or spyware without the ready made tools....

Umm, lets see... read the faqs..that might save you some frustration. Check the tutorial list....there are a bunch. I'll bet you can find something that interests you. Reread #5 in my above post...

Here's a good example of what not to do: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=257108

Ignore the status of the members...senior means (mostly) that someone has just been here for a while (and their neg AP's pack a bigger punch). Pay attention, you'll learn who knows what. Be polite....

That should pretty much get you going... welcome to AO.

No offense but anyone who feels a need to push words onto themselves and/or others with words like "hacker" and the sort, usually convince themselves that they have a interest in things such as computers. But really and truely this is to only be given more excuses to be labeled something or fuel their sence of belonging. You know the type ("if I learn this I can call myself that") thats usually the mind-set that these peaple are on. It gets to a point where its not even about computers anymore... its about what you are called & how cool or smart you look. Everyone knows it and few can admit it.

But anyways go for C++ or whatever other language you want to code with then go for something like MASM. As far as the win98 thing goes play with some 9x box or what ever if you own it... checkout the commands and registries poke around with it and use it as a test box if you can. But you can quickly google for crap about win98 and find out stuff in a matter of seconds but codeing is more time consumeing though.

Originally posted here by groovicus
    My suggestion, for what it is worth, is learn about securing your own box. If you try and absorb everything here, all you are going to do is get frustrated. Set a goal you can realistically acheive. Depending on your operating system, there are any number of guides available... and while you are learning to lock down your own box, you might even be able to learn how to remove a virii or spyware without the ready made tools....

That should pretty much get you going... welcome to AO.
    Is there any benefits to doing it yourself? Comparing advantages (removing more precisely, I guess) and disadvantages (more time consuming, more likely to remove something that had nothing to do with the problem) of course.

I was going to ask a question about Windows security holes, but I guess it is about time is used a search engine and got some practise like that.

Thanks for the welcome. It is the first one I have recieved.. my Roll Call thread had no replies.
    -r.p.

First to the origional Poster. I very seldom and far between say my opinions on people, but I am going to make a special case today.

If you are so in need of having your hand held to explain everything to you, maybe you shouldn't use your computer. Don't take what I say the wrong way, but part of the job of going that extra mile and learning stuff about computers is finding things yourself. If you can't find out about balancing your AP's how are you going to find out about, other things. I mean I can think of atleast 100 threads that bring up balancing AP's at some point in them.

As MsM's said it's not important, and you will only get the message that you got while your AP's are to far one way or the other. Now with that said and done, if you can't take a person's comments like a grain of sand maybe you should try to work on that. Trust me you will get plenty of comments while here, that are a lot worse then you have probably gotten so far. I think Intmon said it best. "My skin has become thick, from being around here."

Now that I with all that stuff said. This is a great place to learn, you have people from expert to utter beginner and everywhere in between. If you need to know something look around. It is around here somewhere. If it isn't ask a question. Don't let the title's and green gif's effect you. They really aren't important.

Raccon dude read around. There are plenty of tools and links around this site, that are very helpful. I mean the tutorial Forum has some really good tutorials. Some great one's. (Some bad one's also.) Read in there you will find lots of info, as for learning to be a "Hacker" white hat or black or whatever. Trust me don't place your knowledge on a word, place it on your knowledge. If you search forever trying to be a title, then once you get that title, you no longer have anything to search for. Then what do you do?

Oh and Raccoon if I remember correctly, other people can't reply to a Roll Call.

As far a learning goes, I would say start with C (Forget all of you I love C, and always will, it pwns.)it is a great language to start on. Coding also depends on what you want to do, don't learn PHP if you hate websites, and hate coding them.

It is all based on what you want to do, and what you are into technology wise. You say all technology but I have a feeling if you looked at some ASM you would flip out wondering who can code that stuff. /me still thinks that.

Last but not least, ask questions. It doesn't hurt to ask. The only way you learn is by asking or finding yourself, and there are just somethings you can't find yourself.

I will be the second person to say it, Welcome to AO, check your coat on the rack on the right, there is one drink minimum. Have Fun

Originally posted here by Raccoon
    Thanks for the welcome. It is the first one I have recieved.. my Roll Call thread had no replies.
    Uhhh... boo hoo

LOL at noobs feeling so lost, lonely, &/or abused over basicly nothing. Whats up with this? This has become a bit of a common & redundant trend here lately don't you think?

Replace with . Thanks for the posts guys.
    -r.p.

Dead Man Walking
    wow 34 posts and has only been here a few days. Hmmmm can anybody say "post whore"?

Unhappy Well........

Well........I am sorry that you feel that way and do not want to stay. If you stayed long enough then you would join the Experts........
    TRINITY IS COOL........
    http://pub2.ezboard.com/btrinityland
    (C++ Novice)

Banned
    Thanks for the welcome. It is the first one I have recieved.. my Roll Call thread had no replies
    Lol, nobody spot the fun part here?

Anyway...