Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: well goodbye to you

well goodbye to you

i came to this site thinking i could learn some about my computer and such, but its too superior. i really don't understand or want to understand the anti-points. and then i get messages back on my opionion slagging me. this is only my 3rd day on this board, and my last. ppl, and places like this will keep ppl like me, newbies, who really came wanting to learn, from learning. the the virus world will prolifferate. well i gues that could be considered job security. you know 1st i can't give these stupid anti-points, then i'm told "you're too positive", now i made some negative comments, just really to 'balance my site' not to have ppl pm me and tell me i'm a jerk.....these anti points well i guess if you want an elite society you've got it. bye and sorry if i offended anyone........
    everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge:
    AND I\'M ABOUT TO BREAK...LP

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Uh... This didn't seem like a site suggestion so I moved it here but if I may point out, no one says you have to use APs at all. And the balance option is NOT required. It's just a suggestion. Sending out negs at random won't go over too well. It's kinda like going around smacking everyone on the cheek after you've shaken everyone's hand. Kinda annoying just for the sake of giving something for both hands to do.

Why not just learn what's here and not focus on the APs?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Goodbye,

Shame you cannot handle intellect?

Have fun

Originally posted here by nihil
    Goodbye,

Shame you cannot handle intellect?

Have fun
    well i changed my mind, and i can handle intellect. i just tend to take everything i see seriously, so when i got a message saying that i needed to balance my ap's ummm...i searched to do that......and i'm sorry....so just give me a break ok?

oh and you have fun too, hands nihil some godiva chocolate and a drink.....

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Uh... This didn't seem like a site suggestion so I moved it here but if I may point out, no one says you have to use APs at all. And the balance option is NOT required. It's just a suggestion. Sending out negs at random won't go over too well. It's kinda like going around smacking everyone on the cheek after you've shaken everyone's hand. Kinda annoying just for the sake of giving something for both hands to do.

Why not just learn what's here and not focus on the APs?
    oh wipes forhead, am glad i don't have to assign those ap's. and i will stay, i just took that stupid message about being balanced seriously......maybe that should be modified somehow? you know when i got it, i hadn't even assigned any ap's !!! and i was told i was too positive. and i usually don't ever state anything as negative. i thought i had to be 'balanced' to stay on the board or something. thanks for not slagging me too hard, and encouraging me to just stay on. i was going to anyway, but its nice that you suggested it. thanks.

Look at it this way...

AP's are not a way of life. They are gif's. In fact, a REALLY good friend of mine is working on an AP system similar to this for PHPbb. You can see the beginnings of it on

http://anotherlamesite.com/pastebin.php

and it may be ported to other CMS. There are a lot more things to do and security checks to do, but it is looking pretty good.

Also, if you get banned, you could always make another account. Lastly, be glad you know who gave you AP's. In the past, it was not shown, and JP did not disclose the names unless it was warranted.

Last July I came here wanting to get into security. 10 months later I am still trying to get into it.. hard stuff. Maybe I am just not reading the right sections.
    -r.p.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Raccoon, what do you mean "wanting to get into security"? What is it you are trying to secure (define what needs to be protected) and how do you intend to secure it (define what technologies you will use to protect the what needs to be protected)? "Getting into security" seems rather broad since security is no one thing and everything. Perhaps if you focussed your attention to something then it might help you somewhat in your search.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Well at first I wanted to be a hacker. That lasted probably about 1 day after I read some documents about becoming one and realized I didn't really understand everything. Then I was watching a program on The Learning Channel about a Anti-Hackers and thought "Hey. It is basically hacking, but it is for a good cause". I know that alot of people start out wanting to be this and that and eventually fail, but I need something new as a hobby..
    -r.p.

That lasted probably about 1 day after I read some documents about becoming one and realized I didn't really understand everything
    Just a couple comments on that:

1. When I started, I didn't understand anything (ok, not completely true..I knew what anti-virus applications were, but that's about it).

2. 'Tis a fact of life that the more you think you know, the less you really know. The wisdom comes from recognizing that you don't know crap

3. Forget all about the word '"hacker"... it won't get you laid, and it's hard to make a career out of it.

4. See #2... that's important.

5. Read until your eyes bleed. Learn how to use search engines. Learn how to ask intelligent questions.

6. See #2... still important.