Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange increase in the disk space cosumed

Banned

strange increase in the disk space cosumed

Hi.
    I have installed Windows 98 on patition C:\ of my hard disk.the capacity of the partition is a little more then 3 GB..probably 3.44 GB..anyways,today i suddenly noticed a lot of increase in the disk space occupied when i received the message that I'm running out of space on Drive C and i should run the disk cleaner...blah blah blah.I ran that thing and got about 12 MB more space..and just then i received another message sayin that I've run out of space on Drive C...i checked the properties of C:\ and saw that i had only some 52.7 MB space on C..i checked the folder sizes to see what was causing the problem..and when i checked the size of C:\...at first it showed a little more than 200 MB..and then suddenly size started increasing..and then it stopped at 1.03 GB..my point is,Windows 98 takes only about 45-50 MB space..how come it occupied 1.03 GB?btw...just scanned C:\windows through AVG free edition(up to date) and no viruses were found.

you have the windows virus...............

just jokeing with you, i will do a little reaserch and get back with you.

and just to let you know, i don't reccomend your curent virus scanner.. try micafee or norton, i'm not saying you have a virus its just a suggestion..

may i ask what other things you have installed????

actually windows 98 takes more than just 50 megs...way more. Depending on its version and what computer it came with...it can take up to 1 gig on a fresh install...the usual i've seen is 600-700 megs. That depends on the features that they put on it...I.E. Dell will add its own **** to the install.

As for the space...check the size of each folder using Windows Explorer and see what folder is taking too much space. Get into that folder and find what other folders in there or files are taking the space.

you have the windows virus...............

just jokeing with you, i will do a little reaserch and get back with you

HAHAHAHAHA...not. Whats with that??? Post when you actually have done the research. No need to let the person know that you "will" be helping him soon...

al1 I know you like to play around with malware, run spybot and adaware and thecleaner just to eliminate those factors. Also, try more than one antivirus...housecall for example.

Regal Making Handler
    Vitual memory, Windows wants it and will take it.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

i like cybr1d take on this but if nothing comes up on your adware or mallware scanner. have you converted your drive to FAT32. when i was googleing it i found alot on many problems with FAT16

I haven't touched windows 98 in a while. Does it have restore points? Those add up on xp if its set to make points too often.

no 9x doesn't have restore points but it does allow some settings to go back to factory default without deleting all your stuff using the "quick restore CD" in the corret manner.

i love win xp......

I would sugest you do a search on you C: drive for all files over lets say 100M. just to see if there is one file that is taking all the space or a number of them. If you get one file that is about 1.1 Gb it could be either a log file or it is, as was said above the virtual memory.
    A couple of questions :
    What is the disk space like when you first turn on your computer? I get the impression that at the start of your session their is plenty of space left but as you use it the space fills up.
    Does it happen more often when you use any specific software or when you are on the internet for a while?

If there is one file that is taking all the space post the name here and I am sure someone will be able to tell you what it is.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Just a thought here.
    Automated updates for windows can take up a lot of room it creates hidden directories in the windows directory with all the update configuration files and after a year or to if you don't remove them they can create a lot of clutter. But i cant remember if win98 had a automated update tool so this might be totally uninteresting.