Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: network virus spreading

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Tiger,

It was 15 but the fine folks who write viruses decided to reduce the time since everyone was discussing the 15 minute time frame.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Hoss: Well..... "Bastiges" comes to mind.....

But in the long run let's be honest, anything that can go "world" in less than 2 hours with an initial infection rate in excess of 1% evenly spread across the planet is going to cause a few problems..... After that it's all a tad academic really... The "strong" will survive the initial onslaught but be taken down on the business end of things by the "weak"...... When you can't communicate with suppliers etc. electronically for fear of infection/compromise does it really matter if your mail server still works?

Not that I'm predicting armageddon here..... I just think that previous "losses" may seem a little insignificant if someone actually gets it _really_ right......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    In essence, what you are describing is 'cyber warfare'.

And not just the old style hack attack, but a full blooded out and out attack upon our society as a whole.
    Quite a shocking thought.

But where would you get the divide ? no longer East v West, although the 'unholy' trinity ( I think that was the description of these from our political leaders ) of Iraq, Iran and North Korea would possibly be at the top of the military mindset,

I would be casting my net around for enemies from the past. Eastern Europe still contains skills that were honed in the cauldron of the 'cold war', and we (UK) have trampled on enough of this planets land mass to have upset practically everyone (USofA inc ??)

And if this IS the case, then we could be in for a HELL of a shock, as our history shows that we prepare for the next war, by practising the strategies of the LAST ONE.

At least this time we get 10 minutes to prepare ? The cold war only gave us a 4 minute warning, and was the subject of things you could do: Boil an egg. But NOT eat it !!!!!
    So this time I'll have me egg !!!

As previously stated I'm not suggesting Armageddon, but forewarned IS forearmed.

<me runs off to buy an egg timer>
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by disturb
    do any of you know what life means.
    No, but I know what it is...

http://www.reed.edu/alife/classes/gameoflife.html

HTH
    Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Currently, there are *many* groups working toward the same goal (taking out/penetrating core systems) but yet they have different agendas and/or motivators fueling their pursuit. The bottom line is that *any* disruptions to a system that capitalism leverages will be a victory. Now, this is a pretty broad statement so let me jut clarify by saying that it does not cover the ametuer script/virus writers, dipshit students, skiddies, etc.. I am speaking solely of highly skilled and organized groups (the ones you have to really worry about).

After reviewing the security of various core networks and applications, I truly fear what may occur if front line defenses fail (AV, firewalls, etc.).

Well Tiger ol' pal, I hear what you're sayin and I think that we need to prep the fort before the assault arrives.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Originally posted here by PoSer
    Are you trying to be insulting or are you suggesting that the virus/worms are mimicking life? which ever one it is please make it clearer in future posts.
    no i was asking how do antivirus companies know how to find the newest worms or viruses
    to add to there definitions

[i]Well Tiger ol' pal, I hear what you're sayin and I think that we need to prep the fort before the assault arrives. [/B]
    lol ; i agree

Just imagin if they found out a way to make av useless. i would unplug my computer from the outside world (hide)

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Disturb:

You send them a copy of something that does "funny $h1t" on your computer or network.... Now don't just go sending them everything you don't understand.... They have lot's of stuff to look at and they don't need your "white noise".

Then there are systems out there looking for "aggressive behaviour" etc.

The defense systems are quite big...... they just aren't big enough yet..... OK?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

<offtopic>
    steve.milner

http://www.math.com/students/wonders/life/life.html

a nice java version of the game of life !
    </offtopic>

no i was asking how do antivirus companies know how to find the newest worms or viruses to add to there definitions
    The same way you and I find out about the virii..
    1. They get them sent in..
    2. They make a signature for them (check if it's a good signature (no false positives etc..))
    3. They send out the updated signatures file..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Virus is a program, right?, so a program can be destroy by another program or virus (like natural source of life). No matter what kind of computer language you use o create o destroy a virus. Somewhere in the present there are few scientist (DARPA) that are developing a new structure for destroy virus with a mix of artificial intelligency and virus code, not its a fiction its totally possible.

Like a organic virus they improve their action when come external agent fight them (antivirus) and get more evolution, thats the result of Trojans and Worms(they can be improve with the mix of a destructive virus). The probability tell us that will be possible generate intelligence virus with self choices, so the challenge its to fight them. Virus are the most important warnings for the future of the information.