Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: change a system file in windows

change a system file in windows

hi all,

hope somebody can help me..

I've adjusted the taskmgr.exe file and want to save this in the winnt/system32 (win2k) folder while overwriting the original one.

i know that with the protected file system of windows the file is also saved in winnt\system32\dllcache, but when i overwrite that one as well, the file will come back to its original state after a while.

also i know there is a possibility to disable the protected file system, but i don't want to disable it for ever. maybe for overwriting this file, and then switch it on again.

but since i've overwritten the file in winnt\system32 and the file in winnt\system32\dllcache, there must also be another place where the credentials of the original files are stored. but where??

any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

grtz

I did not deal with this issue, but a good place to start is scan your registry for occurrences of the file. I guess some data might be stored in the registry too, which might not be eraseable from anywhere else. If you don't know how to use it [the registry], there are many tutorials out here about securing/tweaking/anything Windows to give you a kick start.
    /\\

i've searched through the registry, but i can't find any properties of the file which could be of use for me, only the filename itself, so that won't help..

but thanks for your reaction though

grtz

AO French Antique News Whore
    Do you have your installation file locally?

If you stop protect storage service, change the file in both directory and start the service again, will it work?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

tried it, but that doesn't work either.... tried it on xp home also, same story....

I remember seeing (while I was changing the startup screen for windows) a message box about realtime file protection. Although I cannot make it display that message again, windows muct have some sort of file protection to keep it running and replace bad copies of messed up system files. I will try to see if I can getthe message again.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Hmmmm,

I've adjusted the taskmgr.exe file and want to save this in the winnt/system32 (win2k) folder while overwriting the original one.
    Really?.....................what adjustments have you made?, why?.........what are you trying to achieve?

I may seem old and rude, but I do get pi$$ed off when someone comes to me with a "solution" that does not work, rather than with the original and proper question?

I see this forum as "two way".............like we trust eachother? If you don't trust us, then I don't see why I, personally, at least should trust you..............what have I learned from it?...........nothing?

I think that a bit more background information might be helpful?

Cheers

Try booting in safe mode, and killing off your system restore service (you can kill that by pulling up system properties) and then dropping the file in

that should work

**quick tip, instead of going through the big hubbub of right clicking my computer and going to properties, or going through the control panel to get to system properties. Use the windows + pause/break hotkey combo... much quicker
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

Really?.....................what adjustments have you made?, why?.........what are you trying to achieve?
    i've changed the layout of the program, just to customize my version of windows..
    and for the rest it is just a thing i want to know more about, just for learning more of windows...

Try booting in safe mode, and killing off your system restore service (you can kill that by pulling up system properties) and then dropping the file in

that should work
    i'll give that a try and let you know if it worked...

**quick tip, instead of going through the big hubbub of right clicking my computer and going to properties, or going through the control panel to get to system properties. Use the windows + pause/break hotkey combo... much quicker
    thanks! i did'nt know that yet, i'll keep it in mind!

Hmmmm,

Well now, isn't that just what virus writers want to do?.............intelligent people would simply rename it to "taskmgr.old" or something like that? Then they could recover it if needs be, particularly as Win2k does NOT have restore points? But NO!..........YOU want to OVERWRITE it?

i've changed the layout of the program, just to customize my version of windows..
    Well the only thing you are likely to "learn" from messing with Windows system files is how to format C:\ and re-install. Also have you read the EULA...........reverse engineering and all that?

"tskmgr.exe"???????????? what on earth is there about that particular program you could want to customise?

Right now this thread has a distinct odour of social engineering?

Just my thoughts folks