Thread: C++ and Getting started

C++ and Getting started

What do I need and where can I find the resources to start programming in C++?

Im new, so I think I need the Boolean compiler.

What platform ( CLI ) will I write the code to ?
    A+ Certified

I recommend starting out with Turbo C++ if running under Windows [free from the Borland site] or the obvious gcc under Linux. Some people will recommend Dev-C++ for Win, however I like the built-in reference that TC has. For publications you should check either www.cprogramming.com or a great reference book would be Jamsa's C/C++ Programmer's Bible.

Most C/C++ code is standard for both Lin and Win, and usually Jamsa's specifies which functions are use-able where. Lin has greater power in itself as a 'hacker's' tool, so maybe you would like to focus on that? Then again, I found more stuff for Win in general, so you might want to stick with that.

I still say gcc under Linux with Jamsa's and some programming techniques guide. Many forget to learn about algorithms which could seriously improve your code's speed in execution.
    /\\

You don't have to go cli..
    You don't even have to use just one platform..

Just buy a (second hand) book..

books that spring to mind..
    A Book on C (teaches basic C and has an introduction to C++ and Java)
    C++ for dummies (why not ?)
    etc..

and get coding..
    The only way you'll learn is by trying..

GCC (Gnu Compiler Collection) is all you need (realy)
    if you want a windows IDE with that, go for bloodshed
    if you want a unix IDE (I go for kde) try kdevelop
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

OK, this is what I dl

GVIM62 editor
    C++Builder Compiler 5.5
    Turbo Debugger 5.5

What did I get, and is it any good? Still missing something?
    A+ Certified

Well I'd say you are missing a good book or website wich will help you start your adventure thrue the wonderfull world of C++

Just get any book (yeah even a for dummies book is a life save once in a while)
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I still say, for intro, look at Turbo C++. It's in the archive at Borland, it's an editor/compiler/linker/debugger pretty much. Got some really nice features that makes me regret there's nothing like it [as far as I know] running under Lin.
    /\\

man, i'd say don't jump to just any book that teaches C/C++. i suggest you understand the concept of OBJECT ORIENTED programming before even taking a glance into C++ of Java. The key is to understand the fundamental concepts of every programming paradigm. C++ and Java is not just any programming difference to other languages like VB, COBOL even turbo. C++ is object oriented programming (OOP) which is the result of programming paradigm evolution. Speaking of "evolution", evolution means development that previous programming paradigm could not handle.

the point is that, once you the fundamental concepts, it would be easier for one to push more farther and even deeper to low level hard coding using C++.

i admit, studying concepts is the probably the most boring lessons but power start from there. so find books that talks a lot about fundamental concepts of object oriented programming.

morrissey

Originally posted here by Morrissey
    The key is to understand the fundamental concepts of every programming paradigm. C++ and Java is not just any programming difference to other languages like VB, COBOL even turbo.
    Umm what? Once you do stuff with C++ and JAVA everything starts to look like the same old crap but trust me... there are major seperations between lets say C++, java, or any other language for that matter when compaired to VB. In VB what about includes? Major uses for resource files? The syntax is so primative... there isn't much involvement with:

{ bracketing
    and placeing the semicolon at the end of a statement & stuff };

If once you get going, you get confused by makefiles, have a quick look at something I wrote.

##A MAKEFILE TUTORIAL###

Gotta make a plug, sorry.
    severe limitation

Thanx guys for the positive info,

Nice volcanic

I got some research to do

Prop
    A+ Certified