Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signature Analysis

Thanks for the input FlamingRain. Actually, it was pretty easy to do, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any conditions (as Tiger pointed out, html has 4 letters in the extension).. actually checking for more than one extension only took a few lines of code.

public static void checkDouble()
    {
    for (int h=0; h<filePathString.length(); h++)
    {

if ( filePathString.charAt (h) == dot )

{
    count = count + 1;
    } // end of if

} //end of for

if (count>=2)
    {
    System.out.println("There is a double extension"); // Error marker for later development
    }

} // end of checkDouble

I don't mind creating new classes and methods, I'm sure I'll be able to use them later.

Ok, here I go, bringing up a slightly old thread...

I've got most of this sucker put together... the GUI needs to be prettied up a bit, and I have a comparison routine to put together yet, that shouldn't take too much longer.

I need a little input from the AO community... I need as many lists of file signatures as I can possibly get. The one I am using is here: http://www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html

If anybody knows of any other lists like this, it would be very helpful. The tools is going to be cross-platform, so signatures for any OS are usable.... I suppose I could generate different tables for different OS's if need be...

Cheers and Beers!!!

Ok, here I go, bringing up a slightly old thread...

I've got most of this sucker put together... the GUI needs to be prettied up a bit, and I have a comparison routine to put together yet, that shouldn't take too much longer.

I need a little input from the AO community... I need as many lists of file signatures as I can possibly get. The one I am using is here: http://www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html

If anybody knows of any other lists like this, it would be very helpful. The tools is going to be cross-platform, so signatures for any OS are usable.... I suppose I could generate different tables for different OS's if need be...

Cheers and Beers!!!

Hmm, I just thought of something groovicus...

When I program php I often end up doing with files named "foo.class.php" or "bar.inc.php", but then that brings up another issue..., html, php, javascript are all really .txt files...

Anyway, I'm impressed with your effort. I'll keep my eye out for anything I see that's useful for your task.

Peace,
    Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel

Thanks Dhej, I had already thought of that, so I had to rethink my strategy a little bit. A few members here helped me refocus my efforts, and things are progressing (slowly) but well.....

In the event of a double extension, the file signature will still be checked. If it shows as a text file, then no biggie. If not, it will be dumped to a log. What I am most concerned is noting a file that is labeled a text file, but has the sig of an exe or bat or something.....