Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cisco Switch

Cisco Switch

Got a question for you real quick.

We have a 24 port cisco catalyst 2950 switch thats connected to a DHCP/satelite modem and then about 20 or so computers connected to the switch. Now I can't turn off the DHCP on the modem, and everytime the power goes out here, the modem assigns the switch a IP which conflicts with one of our servers.

I logged into the switch and changed its IP, but it keeps getting changed when the power goes out. Is there anyway that I can keep that IP for the switch without it going away?

I know I could change the IP of the servers so it wouldn't interfere when the switch did get changed, but I'd rather figure out how to statically assign the switch a IP.

I'm doing some searching right now on google and ciscos site but am not seeing anything yet.
    =

Hey Hey,

It's been a few months since i touched a switch, however copy run start should do the trick for ya. If power outtages caused cisco switches to lose their entire config, I think there would be big problems..... Have you been backing up the config after you make the changes?

Peace,
    HT

You know what thats probably my problem.

I saw a save config button the web panel, but it never dawned on me that it might be useful to actually press it. lol

I just got back from there so I'll try it when i get chance.

thanks.
    =

Sup,

Go to enable mode, then you need to pick the interface, then

ip address "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx sub.sub.sub.sub"

any questions pm me...
    I toor\'d YOU!

Just Another Geek
    Don't forget to write mem after you've made changes to your config.

If you make changes (in enable mode) you're actually changing the running config.
    You need to save the running config to flash if you want it to survive a reboot.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I take it that that write mem is a command done via telnet?

What I'm doing is all this via web panel on the switch. Hitting that save config buttons should save it to flash correct?

I'm gonna try it here in 30 minutes
    =

Originally posted here by SirDice
    Don't forget to write mem after you've made changes to your config.

If you make changes (in enable mode) you're actually changing the running config.
    You need to save the running config to flash if you want it to survive a reboot.
    It depends on what IOS you are using. If you are using a newer IOS, you will use
    copy run start

if you are using an older IOS, then you can use the
    write mem

AFAIK: Cisco is getting away from the write mem (though you can still use it in most* IOSs).

I was reading about that when reading the docs for the 12.3(x)T IOS's.

(though, my professor said it a couple of years ago too... taught us to use both depending on the IOS version... and to update the IOS whenever possible)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

lol write mem is a important step i left out.....

But if you are trying to do it from the webconsole, i dont think its possible,
    Last i checked you couldnt assign static ip address only set up dhcp, but im not 100% sure.
    I have to check that out.......

note:The CLI is way more fun and makes you more leet

lol
    I toor\'d YOU!

Question:
    Are you saying that the IP address of your switch is not a static IP but an IP that is handed out by DHCP? If so, make it static. (As stated above)

Are you using the web interface that is installed on the switch via the http server or are you using CSPM? If you are using the built in HTTP server Cisco has posted quite a few alerts about the insecurity of this. I gave up on it a long time ago and I manage all of my switches via the CLI over SSH.

If I recall, there was a button in the web interface that would open up a CLI. If you are going to continue using the web interface, you can run commands like wr mem form there.

But if you are trying to do it from the webconsole, i dont think its possible,
    Bah! Don't do that! CLI and 'no ip http server', all the way... you know some of those switches are using IIS on the backend, right?

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)