Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: detecting hard disk

I have checked it on other system, bios detects it but operating system not.

If i copy the cih virus removal utility on other system's disk, and try to correct it by attatch the damaged drive as slave. It is right?

Poppy~

Yes, that is what I was trying to suggest...............the CIH virus can attack both BIOS and hard drive, so clean the drive on another machine first.

That will tell you if your BIOS has been attacked on the first machine? Otherwise, attach a known working drive with operating system to the first machine (as the master) and see if it boots. That should tell you about the condition of the BIOS on the first machine?

Good luck

Huh, I have never heard of a virus that actually screws with the BIOS like that. My bad nihil, I will leave the rest to you while I investigate this.

/edit

So I read up on the CIH and that is some pretty crazy stuff. Pisses off the hardrive and flashes the bios! And everyone thought MSBlaster was harsh. Hell if a virus like this got big, I mean damn. And it wouldn't be all that hard to pull off. Just include a flash utility with the virus and run it.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Senior since the 3 dot era
    euhhhhn... Is see many people here refer to Seagate for a Quantum disk. While Seagate and Quantum do use similar software (I believe they both use Ontrack) for their hdd diagnostic tools, Quantum disks are not Seagate.

Some info:
    Quantum is a manufacturer of very good harddisks and several tape products. Recently (a few years ago) they are bought by MaXtor, the harddisk division is taken over by MaXtor. Quantum now concentrates on the professional (backup) market. So new harddisks with the label Quantum are past.

MaXtor provides a diagnostic tool on their website for your Quantum disk.

nihil wrote
    attach a known working drive with operating system to the first machine (as the master) and see if it boots. That should tell you about the condition of the BIOS on the first machine?
    Yes I have checked, bios works fine..

on the other system, bios is detecting but OS is not detecting, nor that utility from grc.com, I have checked, it is also unable to repair it.
    Infact I need my data on it otherwise I have to format manually to make Fat or ntfs on it.

Nihil Yes I have checked on other system. but Operating system is unable to detect it. grc's utility is also unable to repair it, infact I have important data on it. otherwise I have to format it for fat or ntfs.

OK Poppy~

I will have to find a few tools for you. I am rather busy for the next few hours so please be patient!

I have a few questions:

1. How big is the drive that does not work?
    2. How much free space is there on your other machine's hard drive?
    3. What was the operating system on the drive that does not work?
    4. What operating system have you on your other machine?

I have two gameplans:

PLAN "A"

Put drive into original machine, boot with floppy disk, run a repair tool on the drive.

PLAN "B"

Copy your files off the drive onto the second machine.............then just format the drive, as you mentioned. We need to be sure that you have enough space to do that, so you might like to do a bit of housekeeping and defragment the drive of the second machine.

ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be sure to update the antivirus on your second machine.........we will need to scan the copied files before they are opened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God knows what might be in there?

Good luck

I will get back to you later today.

1-10gb
    2-15gb
    3- winme
    4- winxp

thanks nihil, Plan A, I will check it, Plan B is possible If plan A is succeeded. I will check and reply soon.