Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: detecting hard disk

detecting hard disk

Hello guys, my bios is not supporting my hard disk "Quantum fireball", how i can detect it , infact the fat32 partition system of hard drive has been damaged through hiv virus, how I can correct it.

thanks

Was this hardrive in your computer, or did you switch it out? If you switched it, make sure your jumpers are set correctly, and if you have cable select selected, then make sure your IDE cable is connected correctly.

If it is in the same computer, I have to this day not found a virus that will actually inflict physical damage to actual hardware. You might have come across some bad sectors.

What I would advise doing is downloading a program called the ultimate boot CD, or look for Seagates diagnosis utility (it should have come on a CD with the hardrive, if not check their site).

My final advice:
    1.) Try putting it in another computer with the correct jumper settings (if you don't know how to do this then ask, although the instructions should be on the hardrive cover).
    2.) Try other IDE cables, yours could be bad.
    3.) If through all of this, you get nothing, try the Seagate diagnosis disc.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Hi there Poppy,

Have a look at the Semantec (Norton) And Network Associates (McAfee) sites for removal/repair tools for the virus.

Get the installation and diagnosis tools from the hard drive manufacturer's site (seagate?) At worst you boot with the floppy and reformat the drive, if the BIOS does not support your drive size, it will install an "overlay" program (something like EZdrive) to correct this.

Lansing~ is quite right about the jumper..........at the back you will see a section with three or four pairs of little pins..........there should be a diagram on the top of the drive or printed letters on the bottom (sorry, don't have a fireball to hand) they will be something like MS = master, SL = slave, CS = cable select. Set the drive to master if it is your main machine drive. Boot with the installation floppy , format and install. Otherwise set it to slave and put it on another machine.

With cable select, the last connection is the master and the one half way along is the slave.

Cheers

thanks, this is the virus which I have found

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/99...rs.asia.virus/

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-514464.html?legacy=zdnn

http://grc.com/cih.htm

thanks for both, I check this hard drive on other machine, because My system (bios) is unable to detect it.

i more I have all setting right as nihil and Lansing_Banda have described.

you can find tons of usefull booting tools at www.bootdisk.com mabey one of them will be helpful.

if you can't get what you need there I would be suprised. you may want to also check you bios settings you might not have you bios set to detect your hard drive you may want to reset your bios and see if that helps.
    [Shadow] have you ever noticed work is like a tree full of monkeys you look down and all you see is monkeys below you then you look up and all you see is a bunch of *******s above[/shadow]

Hi Poppy~

I looks like you have two issues here? The first thing to do is to download the CIH virus recovery tool from the GRC site you mentioned and repair the FAT32 partition. You can do this on another machine.

CIH repair tools are also available free from all the major anti virus company sites such as NAI (McAfee), Symantec (Norton). This should make the drive workable.

The second question is if the BIOS on the origimal computer has been damaged? I would go to the website of the computer manufacturer or motherboard and see if they have a BIOS update and tool. Follow the instructions and overwrite the corrupted BIOS with the new version.

If your BIOS has NOT been damaged (you can test that by attaching a drive that you know works) then once you have fixed the damaged FAT32 partition, the old drive should be detected.

Cheers

thanks.

HI poppy

assuming that the drive's jumper was in correct position, did you auto-detect the hardware?try autodetection and see if it can be detected. Take note that it has different jumper settings for a "master" and "slave". If you did this correctly and autodetect the drive and nothing happens, then you probably got infected by a virus. If your Harddrive is older than your BIOS, it should be detected by the BIOS.
    If your curious, your probably interested.

Have you tried this hardrive on any other computer? If your bios doesn't detect it, well then you might have a little trouble fixing it up.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Hi Lansing~

This is damage caused by the CIH/HIV virus. It scrambles the first meg of the HDD. There are a variety of free tools to fix this problem from Gibson Research & all the major AV vendors, for example.

I agree with the thinking that you should fix the HDD on another machine so that you can verify that it worked. Provide of course, that the tool you get works that way.

The next problem is that this virus tries to flash the BIOS on some systems. If it succeeds then you are screwed If you cannot get in to re-flash the BIOS then it is a new BIOS chip or more likely a new MoBo would be better $ value?

Poppy said that the BIOS did not recognise the HDD, which suggests that the machine is booting, so fixing the drive on another machine then re-installing it into the old machine should solve the problem. Otherwise just use a boot disk and run the repair tool.............I am not sure, but I think some of them might even create a boot disk themselves?

It was a very destructive virus in its day, but it is rather old?

Cheers