Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: create and modify services in windows

create and modify services in windows

hi all,

a new question:

i came across the process nprotect.exe from norton and i saw that i was not able to kill it via the taskmgr or anything else.

so i went and checked and found that the file nprotect.exe is started via a service...
    this service isn't standard in windows so that means that norton must have created it during installation.

now im getting curious of how they did that, i've googled for over an hour now, but haven't find anything usefull yet, although i don't think it should be that hard...

so if anyone can tell me how i can do this, i would be really glad!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    google "instsrv.exe" and pick your poison.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just Another Geek
    Or have a look at what SRVANY.exe does (it's from a resource kit but I cannot remember which one).

It basicly means you have to create a couple of keys in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Sir Dice:

instsrv and srvany go hand in hand..... Srvany allows the app to run as a service and is installed by instsrv. Instsrv also creates the initial registry entries under services, then you go in and add the details.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

There are APIs which let you create a service, can't remember exactly what they are. NtCreateService or something.

The installer just used that.

Slarty

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    instsrv and srvany go hand in hand..... Srvany allows the app to run as a service and is installed by instsrv. Instsrv also creates the initial registry entries under services, then you go in and add the details.
    Ah. I used srvany back in the NT4 days. Had to do everything by hand
    These days I just tell the windows guys 'n gals what I want and they go and do it
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

thanks for all your replies, i'll go and check it out!

but for my other question, how do you modify a existing service??
    which keys are exactly used in the registry???

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The defacto answer to that is "it depends".

When you say modify, are you speaking of a native service to the OS? If so, then clearly the answer is that you don't. If you are speaking of a third party service, then the answer is maybe. Look over the EULA and see what it says about mods. Typically you will find source code along with the service.

Also, when you say modify, you are using the biggest generalization on the planet. Something like, "How can I change the number of threads are spawned by a service or how can I change the default port a service runs on?" would be much better than the general nature of your question. A detailed description of what you are doing wouldn't hurt either.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

leprichaun..

as with your previous thread... on Windows you don't modify any services..
    you just configure what was given by the grace of Microsoft (config pannel etc)..

If you realy want to modify services you should go for an open source platform and change some source and recompile the service..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I fail to see why we should continue to answer these stupid questions?

Leprechaun (correct spelling) why don't you buy a legit copy of Windows and go away and play with it?

You are starting to become boring................I am sure you think you are very 1337?...........well that is an opinion I do not share............

And I notice that the_JinX is onto your game as well?

If anyone has a problem with this, might I respectfully suggest that you check out his last dozen posts or so?

My view