Thread: Netbios C$ and stuff

Netbios C$ and stuff

tiger shark told me that:
    Unless you have "fiddled" with the box in Win2000/XP there is a share, ("administrative"), for each drive on the box.... Connect to \\thebox\c$ and if you have the rights it will connect and show you the entire drive..... Unfortunately, you can't "simply" disable that share... you either have to firewall it off, close NetBOIS or disable them in the registry.
    i havent doen any of that and i cant seem to view my c$ or admin$. ipc$ works fine(i think) all i can really do from it is "net use /mycomp/ipc$" and see some info about the share drive, right? why doesnt it work?

Elite Hacker
    I know that on XP pro I could never get the c$ share until I turned off the simple file sharing.
    you can do that in my computer>tools>folder options>view tab> and it's at the very bottom. Make sure you have a pass on your admin account if you do let c$ be accessible. You can set an admin password by right clicking my computer and going to manage. Then go to local users and groups>users>administrator. You can rename it and set a password I believe. Also remember that the original account is admin so you should set a password for that too, well I guess it's smart to have a pass for all accounts. and if you don't need to get this stuff from over the internet, block it with a firewall. You can set rules in firewalls to allow over a lan and not from the internet.

normally you can only use the share with the following syntaxis:u

net use x: \\<target_ip>\c$ /user:<target_name>\administrator password

for administrator you can use any account with enough privileges, and password stands for the password that belongs to the username you've entered earlier...

as for x: you can use any other drive-letter which is not in use already... this also works on xp...

i have xp home and it doesnt have an option to turn simple file sharing on or off... i guess its off by default. but i still dont have a c$ drive enabled. lebricaun, that syntax doesnt work for me i get an error. the one that seems to work for me is "net use x: \\<target_ip>\c$ "password" /user:"administrator". but then it comes up asking for the password again, so i put it in(i have all my accts passworded) and it tells me that the path is invalid

for the target_name, i mean the name of the computer... for instance: box\administrator

but it could be possible to get an error message while not using the administrator account... therefore it is the easiest to use the administrator account.

also check if the server service is running and check your shares local with the command "net share" or remote with net view\\<computername>.

if you see the shares here, you should be able to use them with the admin account (except for the ipc$ share).

they dont show up when i do net share. the only things is see are ipc$ and shareddocs

Phonedog, I am not sure that XP Home has a c$ or admin$ share. My brothers box doesnt have it(XP Home), but both of my 2k boxes have it.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Thanks guys.... You taught me something..... I was unaware that XP home does not provide the administrative shares.... Probably a product of the fact that as a base install it isn't designed to be a "network" computer.... Try joining an AD domain with it..... I know it can be done but it's not a "plug and play" thing if I remember the "destructions" on how to do it.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

so thats what it was, thanx guys

i didn't know xp home doesn't have the shares.... learned something new again

xp pro does have them by the way, that's for sure....