Thread: Knoppix A

Regal Making Handler

Knoppix Security

Hi all,
    the attached is the results of a nessus scan i carried out against my box. At the time i was running knoppix from the cd. I am very new to nix so i'm not sure if the results are anything to be conserned with. Im just playing with it at the moment. I would appreciate any feedback you may have. As it does show a security hole.

Thanks for your time.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

of course knoppix isn't that secure, that's why there was made a more secure knoppix version based on knoppix 3.2.

get it here

uhmm, lepricaun, knoppix-std is not a secure distro. From the faq:

How secure is Knoppix-STD?

Many linux security distributions are hardened versions of Linux to secure the host. This is not STD. STD is a security toolkit not a hardened OS. I would not consider Knoppix a secure distribution.

True, It runs off of a read only CD with minimal services running on boot. It only loads itself into RAM. Their are only a few viruses that affect it. The default boot shows only 68/tcp (dhcpclient) and 6000/tcp (X11) loaded from an nmap scan. A nessus scan shows only a low severity alert on X11 (It doesn't allow any client connections, but may be vulnerable to DoS attacks. CVE-1999-0526). dhcpclient instantly closes any connection attempts.

Well I don't know much about the Nessus logfile but in regard to the Knoppix discussion -

I prefer PHLAK over Knoppix-STD.

I think it would be more secure as well 'cause there are shortcut buttons to open or close certain ports (with iptables I believe)... Or to close ALL incoming traffic.

But I guess then you'd might as well be disconnected altogether

Maybe sometime I'll compare Nessus scans of both distros... Maybe...

mjk

the standard knoppix-std is indeed not secure, but the new version even has a firewall, i don't say it's completely secure, but it's better then the original...
    the new version is knoppix-std 1.0b and you can get it at the same link as i posted above...

Regal Making Handler
    This is the latest version and yes it comes with a firewall and a one click icon to kill all incomeing tcp connections.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry