Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: telnet from behind firewall

I'm not sure if any of the administrator groups have full access or not....I know that none of the student groups do.

I went to a site that was supposed to tell me my ip and it gave me the ip of the isp the school uses, but not that permanent IP address owned by the school.

I'll let you know how I fare with anti-firewall.

I also remember seeing several tutorials at one time about port forwarding to use telnet, but can't seem to find them now.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

I'm not sure if any of the administrator groups have full access or not....I know that none of the student groups do.

I went to a site that was supposed to tell me my ip and it gave me the ip of the isp the school uses, but not that permanent IP address owned by the school.

I'll let you know how I fare with anti-firewall.

I also remember seeing several tutorials at one time about port forwarding to use telnet, but can't seem to find them now.
    Faqt

Originally posted here by phishphreek80 [...]
    Sometimes its better to get pointed in the right direction and get a basic understanding.
    Then they can go back and and get a better grasp on the concepts.
    Gee, that's what I thought I was doing by suggesting he go read up on some basic networking.

Originally posted here by Faqt
    I'm a first quarter student, and we don't even cover ISA/security until 4th quarter, so I guess maybe I'm a little over my head here.
    Indeed, and IMO it's a good thing you can recognize that.

I generally try to avoid asking a question before I've tried researching it on my own.
    Eventually I will be employeed in IT field, and I will have to search for answers to things I don't know....that's part of the reason I want to work with computers....I will never know everything, and will always be able to find something new to work on, some new problem to figure out how to resolve.
    If that's your idea of what working in IT is like, I'd say you are sorely in for a rude awakening. The situation you describe is by and large a complete rarity.

It seems to me that not asking/posting a valid question would be the same as not bothering to google for an answer.....use all resources and you get the widest return of information....the most possible resolutions to your problem. The best opportunity to learn something.
    I'd agree with that if the situation wasn't one where you are endeavouring to learn something and there is no cost associated with time spent on it.

The point is moot anyway, everyone else seems to think you should have all the information you need handed to you, without doing any legwork or making much effort.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Originally posted here by phishphreek80 [...]
    Sometimes its better to get pointed in the right direction and get a basic understanding.
    Then they can go back and and get a better grasp on the concepts.
    Gee, that's what I thought I was doing by suggesting he go read up on some basic networking.

Originally posted here by Faqt
    I'm a first quarter student, and we don't even cover ISA/security until 4th quarter, so I guess maybe I'm a little over my head here.
    Indeed, and IMO it's a good thing you can recognize that.

I generally try to avoid asking a question before I've tried researching it on my own.
    Eventually I will be employeed in IT field, and I will have to search for answers to things I don't know....that's part of the reason I want to work with computers....I will never know everything, and will always be able to find something new to work on, some new problem to figure out how to resolve.
    If that's your idea of what working in IT is like, I'd say you are sorely in for a rude awakening. The situation you describe is by and large a complete rarity.

It seems to me that not asking/posting a valid question would be the same as not bothering to google for an answer.....use all resources and you get the widest return of information....the most possible resolutions to your problem. The best opportunity to learn something.
    I'd agree with that if the situation wasn't one where you are endeavouring to learn something and there is no cost associated with time spent on it.

The point is moot anyway, everyone else seems to think you should have all the information you need handed to you, without doing any legwork or making much effort.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Not to flame at all, but chsh...shut the hell up. It is a damn forum man, a FORUM! What else shoud it be used for except to teach and give out information. If all you want to do is hop in other people's threads and tell them to find crap on their own, then start your own forum called RTFMonline. Otherwise, help someone out or piss off!

That said, I used a program back in the day called HTTP tunnel to forward SLSK to port 80. It can be used to also forward telnet requests through port 80:

for linux:
    http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html

for windows:
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/212977.html

The latter won't be very fast unless you register it, but since you are only using telnet, speed will not be an issue.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Not to flame at all, but chsh...shut the hell up. It is a damn forum man, a FORUM! What else shoud it be used for except to teach and give out information. If all you want to do is hop in other people's threads and tell them to find crap on their own, then start your own forum called RTFMonline. Otherwise, help someone out or piss off!

That said, I used a program back in the day called HTTP tunnel to forward SLSK to port 80. It can be used to also forward telnet requests through port 80:

for linux:
    http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html

for windows:
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/212977.html

The latter won't be very fast unless you register it, but since you are only using telnet, speed will not be an issue.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Lightbulb

desproxy.sourceforge.net is imo the best tunneling-program for your
    'kind of problem' ... check it out
    here comes the p/\\in

Lightbulb

desproxy.sourceforge.net is imo the best tunneling-program for your
    'kind of problem' ... check it out
    here comes the p/\\in

[i] Originally posted here by
    The point is moot anyway, everyone else seems to think you should have all the information you need handed to you, without doing any legwork or making much effort. [/B]

Chsh-
    Believe me, keeping my temper while reading your attempts at turning this post into a flame war has taken more effort then any other project I've ever tackled.

I have been a member of this forum for a long time, yet don't have a high number of posts because I refrained from posting to threads I really knew nothing about.

Now I'm asking a legitimate question for a legitimate reason....and you attack me for no reason?

Originally posted here by chsh
    I'm not really sure why you guys are all so eager to do the guy's homework for him. It's not like any halfway decent effort at researching this independant of asking another person won't turn up a few dozen obvious avenues to try. You really should be doing this by yourself, rather than asking a bunch of other people to do it for you IMO.

That was your first addition to this thread......and I don't see where you've added anything at all relevent or usefull.

Have any of your posts to this thread been even slightly friendly? To the best of my knowledge, I've in no way harmed or irritated you in the past, and the post is in the proper forum.

I think it's unfortunate that you're such a grumpy close minded individual.
    Faqt

[i] Originally posted here by
    The point is moot anyway, everyone else seems to think you should have all the information you need handed to you, without doing any legwork or making much effort. [/B]

Chsh-
    Believe me, keeping my temper while reading your attempts at turning this post into a flame war has taken more effort then any other project I've ever tackled.

I have been a member of this forum for a long time, yet don't have a high number of posts because I refrained from posting to threads I really knew nothing about.

Now I'm asking a legitimate question for a legitimate reason....and you attack me for no reason?

Originally posted here by chsh
    I'm not really sure why you guys are all so eager to do the guy's homework for him. It's not like any halfway decent effort at researching this independant of asking another person won't turn up a few dozen obvious avenues to try. You really should be doing this by yourself, rather than asking a bunch of other people to do it for you IMO.

That was your first addition to this thread......and I don't see where you've added anything at all relevent or usefull.

Have any of your posts to this thread been even slightly friendly? To the best of my knowledge, I've in no way harmed or irritated you in the past, and the post is in the proper forum.

I think it's unfortunate that you're such a grumpy close minded individual.
    Faqt