Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: telnet from behind firewall

telnet from behind firewall

At school, our network is behind a firewall which prevents using telnet. I have been told I will receive extra credit points if I can figure out how to get around it without asking the network administrator for access.

I'm hoping somebody can point me towards tutorials/info that are relevant to my query.
    The computer I use is running XP Professional, I'm not sure exactly what the school is using for a firewall, but I believe the server may be IIS exchange server.

I don't need to get into the system from outside, just telnet out of the system.

I'm not sure quite what I'm looking for SSH? Tunnel? Proxy? Port Forwarding? Just a little direction so I'm searching for the right information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    This also would depend on the destination port (service) you want to connect to outside. I would think that your firewall is blocking outgoing packets which have a destination port 23. Try to telnet to a webpage ( telnet www.google.com 80 ) and see if that works. Does you destination have to be a telnet daemon?

/edit

In addition, it might be also the host you are using. Do you have to use a certain computer to try that? Some firewalls block by source ip. Anyways, try what i said earlier about the destination port.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

enumeration! how can anyone give you any help if we dont know what you've got to work with?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

What does the professor mean by telnet? Does s/he mean just use port 23 or does she mean use the program "telnet.exe" to get to anywhere. If it is the latter, then go to start-->run and type in cmd.

Once you are in the dos prompt, type in
    telnet www.antionline.com 80
    and hit enter. The shell will go black. If you have echo off you won't see anything, but that is okay. Now type
    GET / HTTP / 1.1/
    and hit enter twice. Congratulations. You have just used telnet to get to antionline. If you just wanted the header, then type HEAD instead of GET.

If this isn't what she meant, please explain in detail what you need to do.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

hmm...I didn't think to ask that, it hadn't occured to me to use telnet to any port ather than 23 or 25.

We'd been discussing permissions, and I learned permissions at hackerslab.org. Instructor said he'd never seen hackerslab, so I tried to telnet to drill.haclkerslab.org.

I got a message saying it was blocked and to ask my administrator for access. I asked if there was anyway to get around the firewall to telnet to hackerslab. He said if I could figure out how he'd give me points for it.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Just Another Geek
    If you're able to browse the web on port 80 you may be able to use the TCP map option of Anti-Firewall.

Note: You'll need the Full version!
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

lets see. I love teachers challenges !
    Do u have http access to Internet? How? thru proxies? can u tell me to which proxy port?
    Please be sure what the challenge is.
    Use command TELNET to get acess to Internet OR
    pass thru port 23 of firewall OR
    use a telnet session thru firewall (or a mix of all)
    Depending on the challenge, we can work on a solution
    But be aware to u will work too!
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I'm not really sure why you guys are all so eager to do the guy's homework for him. It's not like any halfway decent effort at researching this independant of asking another person won't turn up a few dozen obvious avenues to try.

You really should be doing this by yourself, rather than asking a bunch of other people to do it for you IMO.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

asking around is also a part of researching.whats the differance if he reads it here or somewhere else. he'll get information and either assimilate it or he wont. some folks will post links for him to read (when we find out what were dealing with), some will give advice, some will even tell him he's lying and for him to go away...besides its fun and im bored.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by SirDice
    If you're able to browse the web on port 80 you may be able to use the TCP map option of Anti-Firewall.

Note: You'll need the Full version!
    f-pipe can also accomplish this. and... its FREE!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.