Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: telnet from behind firewall

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    asking around is also a part of researching.whats the differance if he reads it here or somewhere else. he'll get information and either assimilate it or he wont. some folks will post links for him to read (when we find out what were dealing with), some will give advice, some will even tell him he's lying and for him to go away...besides its fun and im bored.
    The whole purpose of the educational system is to encourage thought. It does not encourage thought if a person can simply ask another person to give them the answer. The concept in this case is simple enough with a rudimentary working knowledge of networking. Had he presented a shred of evidence that perhaps he had put an iota of thought into the question before posting, I'd agree, sure, at that point he's at least made some effort, but I mean, when your first move is to ask someone else that isn't learning, it's regurgitating. Arguments about various education systems aside, I still think it's dumb to encourage this kind of behaviour, if only because it will lead to more and more questions. Eventually the person will be like so many other users -- entirely dependant on other people for answers, rather than looking for said answers themselves.

I've seen it happen countless times before.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

your ab-so-loot-ly right chsh. but...this is faqt were talking about not some would be SK with three posts who can't seem to remember his hot-mail password. look at some of the responses hes getting, foundstones port fowarder has been recommended. in order to use it hes going to have to figure out how by rtfm and experimenting. you cant tell me that hes not going to learn something from it even if hes been pointed to it. nobody's going to do it for him. and now that he's learned that a telnet client can be used for protocols other than telnet he'll get a look at what a protocol really is. even school points you to where to find good information rather than have you waste time sorting threw all the garbage. when he goes in to school and telnets to hackers lab (depending on the type of fw) he will have demonstrated knowledge "he has gained" and will rightfully deserve those extra points and maybe even give his teacher a wake up call.

Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

First of all,
    chsh- please read my post, I don't think you understood it the first time, or did you even read it before posting your response?

I'm hoping somebody can point me towards tutorials/info that are relevant to my query

I am doing my own work here, I'm looking for general guidance. What you think are obvious avenues to try are all relatively new to me, that's why I am in school.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions,
    I have found that I cannot connect to anything via telnet. (not port 23, 80, or 8080)

The server/firewall is ISA, and will not allow any protocol other than http://.

I see no obvious way around this, am going to search for proxy, port forwarding, ssh tunnel, ISA.....

direction to a good starting point would be great.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Just Another Geek
    Look at anti-firewall I've mentioned before. It can be used to "tunnel" other protocols through a (http) proxy.

Phish: f-pipe is a different kind of program. Antifirewall will let you "use" a proxy. F-pipe re/directs ports and basicly "is" the proxy.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    your ab-so-loot-ly right chsh. but...this is faqt were talking about not some would be SK with three posts who can't seem to remember his hot-mail password.
    Frankly I don't care who it is, if they are too lazy to get up off their ass and go look, they don't deserve any help.

look at some of the responses hes getting, foundstones port fowarder has been recommended. in order to use it hes going to have to figure out how by rtfm and experimenting. you cant tell me that hes not going to learn something from it even if hes been pointed to it.
    How does "use this app it will do it" equate to any sort of gain in knowledge?

Originally posted here by Faqt
    First of all,
    chsh- please read my post, I don't think you understood it the first time, or did you even read it before posting your response?
    Yes I did, and I pointed out that you need to do your homework. This involves research, which in turn involves pulling out a good networking book, or looking yourself through various means for the very tutorials you are asking people tell you about here. It's totally an avoidance of actual work on your part.

I am doing my own work here, I'm looking for general guidance. What you think are obvious avenues to try are all relatively new to me, that's why I am in school.
    No, you aren't doing your own work. You are effectively saying "where do I find this information, I'm too lazy to go look for myself, and I want to get this extra credit". I already gave you an answer to your query too, go look for something that teaches you the fundamentals of networking. Once you grasp the concept of what is stopping you, you will be able to put your brain to work (cherish the thought!) on the concept of how to get around it.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

csch:

Not everyone can learn the same way as you. What works for you might not work for me or the next guy.
    I know how to pick up a book and read. I'm sure that Faqt does too.

Not everyone has time to drop a week or two to read a 800+pg book on networking to get all the concepts first and then go back and try to solve the problem.

Sometimes its better to get pointed in the right direction and get a basic understanding.
    Then they can go back and and get a better grasp on the concepts.

SirDice: Thanks for that bit of info. I'll have to look into that a bit more and play around.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Okay, I'm swimming in tutorials....carrying stacks of them with me to read on the bus, I've googled, I've yahoo'd, I've asked for general direction.....
    I've effectively taken in so much information that I'm lost and can't find a starting point.

I've discovered the firewall is 1.1 ISA, the computer I need to telnet from goes to a router (192.168.1.1) then the firewall (192.168.20.1), then the ISP..... however, I cannot find the address of the firewall on the public side.

From within the LAN I cannot ping any system not behind the firewall. From outside the LAN I cannot ping the internal clients. (can't find actual IP address to even try.)

I've been researching ssh tunneling....it seems to me, that in order for that to work for my purposes, I would need to install the ssh server on an external client, then tunnel from the Lan to the ssh server, but since I can't even ping external clients I don't see how I can implement this.

I've downloaded fpipe and can't get it to run for me (I'm running windows XP, and fpipe opens then dissappears right away, won't allow me any access to configure or use.)

I've downloaded the antifirewall program and will try it tonight at school.

For now, I've gone back to ISA as my search term, in hopes of finding some direction there. If at all possible I'd like to really understand what I'm doing.

I'm a first quarter student, and we don't even cover ISA/security until 4th quarter, so I guess maybe I'm a little over my head here.

Thanks to those of you that tried to help me.
    I will eventually figure this out if it takes me all year.....so if anything occurs to somebody that hasn't been mentioned so far, I'm totally open to suggestions.

chsh-
    I generally try to avoid asking a question before I've tried researching it on my own.
    Eventually I will be employeed in IT field, and I will have to search for answers to things I don't know....that's part of the reason I want to work with computers....I will never know everything, and will always be able to find something new to work on, some new problem to figure out how to resolve.
    It seems to me that not asking/posting a valid question would be the same as not bothering to google for an answer.....use all resources and you get the widest return of information....the most possible resolutions to your problem. The best opportunity to learn something.
    Faqt

Okay, I'm swimming in tutorials....carrying stacks of them with me to read on the bus, I've googled, I've yahoo'd, I've asked for general direction.....
    I've effectively taken in so much information that I'm lost and can't find a starting point.

I've discovered the firewall is 1.1 ISA, the computer I need to telnet from goes to a router (192.168.1.1) then the firewall (192.168.20.1), then the ISP..... however, I cannot find the address of the firewall on the public side.

From within the LAN I cannot ping any system not behind the firewall. From outside the LAN I cannot ping the internal clients. (can't find actual IP address to even try.)

I've been researching ssh tunneling....it seems to me, that in order for that to work for my purposes, I would need to install the ssh server on an external client, then tunnel from the Lan to the ssh server, but since I can't even ping external clients I don't see how I can implement this.

I've downloaded fpipe and can't get it to run for me (I'm running windows XP, and fpipe opens then dissappears right away, won't allow me any access to configure or use.)

I've downloaded the antifirewall program and will try it tonight at school.

For now, I've gone back to ISA as my search term, in hopes of finding some direction there. If at all possible I'd like to really understand what I'm doing.

I'm a first quarter student, and we don't even cover ISA/security until 4th quarter, so I guess maybe I'm a little over my head here.

Thanks to those of you that tried to help me.
    I will eventually figure this out if it takes me all year.....so if anything occurs to somebody that hasn't been mentioned so far, I'm totally open to suggestions.

chsh-
    I generally try to avoid asking a question before I've tried researching it on my own.
    Eventually I will be employeed in IT field, and I will have to search for answers to things I don't know....that's part of the reason I want to work with computers....I will never know everything, and will always be able to find something new to work on, some new problem to figure out how to resolve.
    It seems to me that not asking/posting a valid question would be the same as not bothering to google for an answer.....use all resources and you get the widest return of information....the most possible resolutions to your problem. The best opportunity to learn something.
    Faqt

to find your externel ip:

http://www.whatismyip.com/

you will not be able to ping the internal network from outside only the fire wall itself. i believe you said you can not telnet threw the firewall to any port including 80 so fpipe wont help you here unless you have access to the computer isa is on.

im curious as to how you make out with anti-firewall.

i seem to recall a few sites that had asp type forms for telneting using http and forms but i cant seem to find any.

do any of the computers on the network have full internet privilages? isa can assign different right to differant user groups or ipaddress.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

to find your externel ip:

http://www.whatismyip.com/

you will not be able to ping the internal network from outside only the fire wall itself. i believe you said you can not telnet threw the firewall to any port including 80 so fpipe wont help you here unless you have access to the computer isa is on.

im curious as to how you make out with anti-firewall.

i seem to recall a few sites that had asp type forms for telneting using http and forms but i cant seem to find any.

do any of the computers on the network have full internet privilages? isa can assign different right to differant user groups or ipaddress.