Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Sasser Worm & Symantec's FxSasser.exe..

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Im gonna try to convince him to use the M$ patches... if not, the box (before i got my hands on it) had nothing on it that has todo with security. I installed adaware on it, and found over 400 nasty things crawling in it, and no firewall or nothing, not even an AV. Now i put adaware, symantec security suite, and spybot on it and after alot of scans and deleting and reboots, the system now looks clean. I also configured the firewall as best as i could. All scans now show a positive result. So far the sasser has not re-surfaced on that box. Hopefully it will be enough for the time being. The hard part is (as with most customers) to convince them to actually use the update buttons located on all these sweet tools to keep it all upto date.

Cheers for your help everyone
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Im gonna try to convince him to use the M$ patches... if not, the box (before i got my hands on it) had nothing on it that has todo with security. I installed adaware on it, and found over 400 nasty things crawling in it, and no firewall or nothing, not even an AV. Now i put adaware, symantec security suite, and spybot on it and after alot of scans and deleting and reboots, the system now looks clean. I also configured the firewall as best as i could. All scans now show a positive result. So far the sasser has not re-surfaced on that box. Hopefully it will be enough for the time being. The hard part is (as with most customers) to convince them to actually use the update buttons located on all these sweet tools to keep it all upto date.

Cheers for your help everyone
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

AO Part Timer
    Off topic. Couldn't find a thread to throw it into. Not worth starting a new thread. So since it is this virus, I'll put my FYI here. I live in the midwest. Last night after work my wife came home asking about this sasser virus. Apparently it has infected a grocery store here. The problem is the way their system is networked.

For example the control center is in another city. But it controls things like the store freezers, and inventory orders. This worm has infected their system so badly, they are currently unable to take food stamps, debit cards, credit cards, and checks. All of their ordering is done via handheld scanner. Which is wirelessly connected (fun to wardrive btw, not encrypted) to a machine upstairs that puts the whole order on for the store. They are starting to freezer failure. Theere is no manual control, it is all automated. Their payroll system, time clocks, and even the ATM's and Fidelity bank inside the store are unable to "business as usual".

All I can say is, somebody needs to rethink their plan. They are up **** creek, without a paddle, the boat has sprung a leak, and apparently they can't swim.

Just thought I'd share this tid-bit with you folks

Be safe and stay free
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

AO Part Timer
    Off topic. Couldn't find a thread to throw it into. Not worth starting a new thread. So since it is this virus, I'll put my FYI here. I live in the midwest. Last night after work my wife came home asking about this sasser virus. Apparently it has infected a grocery store here. The problem is the way their system is networked.

For example the control center is in another city. But it controls things like the store freezers, and inventory orders. This worm has infected their system so badly, they are currently unable to take food stamps, debit cards, credit cards, and checks. All of their ordering is done via handheld scanner. Which is wirelessly connected (fun to wardrive btw, not encrypted) to a machine upstairs that puts the whole order on for the store. They are starting to freezer failure. Theere is no manual control, it is all automated. Their payroll system, time clocks, and even the ATM's and Fidelity bank inside the store are unable to "business as usual".

All I can say is, somebody needs to rethink their plan. They are up **** creek, without a paddle, the boat has sprung a leak, and apparently they can't swim.

Just thought I'd share this tid-bit with you folks

Be safe and stay free
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark