Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Baby Walker Ban-Ban-Ban

Canadian Baby Walker Ban-Ban-Ban

Just an off-the-wall post here.

Canada became the first country in the world to ban the sale, advertising and import of baby walkers on Wednesday, saying too many children were being injured by the devices.

“Health Canada has determined that these children do not have the necessary skills, reflexes or cognitive abilities to safely make use of these products,” the health ministry said in a statement.

“Typically, incidents linked to baby walkers involve head injuries that result from falls down stairs,” it added, advising parents with the devices to dispose of them.

Canadian retailers have imposed a voluntary ban on the sale of baby walkers since 1989 but the health ministry said more and more were being imported.

“Canadians must know about the dangers posed to infants through the use of baby walkers ... I am pleased to announce that Canada is the first country in the world to ban the sale of these products,” said Health Minister Pierre Pettigrew.

The ban also applies to the sale of baby walkers as second-hand items at flea markets or garage sales.
    I wonder, has Canada done a study to see if baning the baby walkers actually reduced the number of infants that have fallen down stairs and sustained a head injury?
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Frientingly the number of US babys that sustain waker related injuries is very high. This is very disturbing, not only are people putting walkers on upperfloors but they are not installing baby gates....how dumb can you get
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

“OK kid! Get out of that walker and put your hands on your head”

I didn’t know the insurance companies had that kind of say in Canada!

How long before:

After careful study, the surgeon general has determined that 83 percent of all fatal injuries occurring outside of the home are caused by head injuries. Therefore as of the first of next month everyone is required to wear a government approved safety helmet when leaving the confines of his or her homes.

Maybe after that ‘walking harnesses’ because people are tripping and falling. Nader once proved that the human foot is of an unsafe design. Maybe we should replace them with government approved feet.

While I agree that unsafe products should not be sold, there is far too much government intrusion into our lives and we are not going to leave this world alive no matter what they do.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

It all goes back to using a little common sense. All of these regulations that were not around when my parents were growing up, and they survived. All of my sibblings survived, even me(although not by much), and all of our children are doing just fine. Anybody remember lawn jarts with the metal tips? Now those were fun to play with, and not one of us got stuck in the head with those nasty toys.

Regal Making Handler
    Bloody authority should get there act together. I have 2 kids, when the first was born it was advised that the child should sleep face down. The advice changed to face up for the second, to reduce the chance of cot death. I must have been taught atleast 3 different ways to do AER and CPR. To be frank i don't think they no what the fu**k they are about.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

lol..lawn jarts... now there was some good fun...

Other notably fun toys .... Sock'em Boppers inflatable boxing gloves..you could really smack someone wobbly with those; Tonka trucks when they were made of real metal..one I can't remember the name of, but you melted rubber and injected into insect molds, then promptly burned your fingers on it, the Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle..it would go through plate steel if you gave it a chance..SSP racers....cap guns that shot sparks sometimes... oh yeahh.

Hey,

It's amazing how governments think we are just dumb sheep and need led/regulated to ensure that we don't get hurt. Granted there are some irresponsible parents that were negligent with the walkers, but if we allow the government to keep adding regulations for everything, next there will be a farting tax, a breathing assessment, a talking fee, a pregnancy levee, and so forth.

A little background here: If the modern day regulators where around during my youth, they would have quite the Charmin moment. I spent my infancy on a ranch and walked around cattle and all kinds of critters and bugs. The most harm that every came to me was when the geese chased me down and bit my butt. Additionally I was riding horses without a helmet before I was old enough to attend the first grade. So what was the big difference?

Parental Guidance! My parents taught me what I needed to know, and about the horses and cattle etc. So with the exception of the occasional stepping in a cow pie and the ornery geese, no harm ever came to me or my brothers and sisters. Additionally, my five younger brothers and sisters all used walkers and we lived in several different two-story homes!

So let's spend the money that would otherwise be used on creating new laws and regulations, on educating the parents.

Sounds like the ole chaps are creating too much job security for themselves!

folks the reason these regulations exist is bucause the majority of you are stupid...every year a distrubingly lage number of people put these walkers on upperleves without baby gates....then they trun around and try and sue everybody when there kid dies.....if you want the laws to go away remove the stupid people.

Yes we live in a society that must, MUST place warning stickers on plastic bags. As if by some magic the warning stating that if we place a bag over our head, we cannot get oxygen, and therefore may die. Thank god all those people are saved by taking the time to read the tag, before blindly inserting there heads into the dangerous and carnivorous oriface of plastic bags. Praise those who protect us, the bags are smarter so the inocent must be protected.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Exactly right road closed...but lets not blame the goverment for this issue, it falls int othe litigation lawyers laps.....the question is what t odo about it, tourt reforme? humm there are times whene smacking a companiy in the pocket boot is the only way to get tehm to reforme (firestone tires) so caping lawsuits may not be the best idea.Perhaps giving judges more ability to trhrow suits out, or perhaps allowing classaction defendents counter sue the opposeing laywer?