Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Update failure

Windows Update failure

I can't get a few of the critical updates to install on a XP Pro SP1 Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop.

At first, using the windows update site, the files would download but freeze on the install.

I then tried to install them all manually.

They all worked except for two..

kb824105 and kb819696

After launching the .exe, I accept the terms and I get the following error:

WEUpdate cannot retrieve information needed for setup from database.
    Setup cannote continue.
    I have searched m$'s technet, microsoft.com and google... can't find a solution.

Anyone ever seen this or know how to possibly resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

would you be able to download those updates from another computer and put them on CD or order a CD from M$ with the updates in it?

Originally posted here by Cybr1d
    would you be able to download those updates from another computer and put them on CD or order a CD from M$ with the updates in it?
    I have downloaded them several times. I have them on the network and they apply to another machine just fine. I don't think its a problem with the integrity of the file(s) or permissions (admin)...

This machine just really doesn't like them... and I can't figure out why.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hmm...Install a different operating system then...perhaps 2k or even a different type of XP, (Professional Edition)

Regal Making Handler
    I have seen probs like this when there has been a disconnected internet connection. For some reason the updates like to be able to talk back to microsoft

Have you got a firewall running ?
    Disable auto protect if you have AV running.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I've been having a similar problem on our W2k Advanced Server. When trying to download SP4, I get this error:

"The server did not respond."

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    "The server did not respond."
    The Microsoft update servers are being slammed because of the Sasser virus. Everyone is downloading the patch for the LSASS hole. It may take a few tries to get through.

Cheers:
    DjM

Yeah, I noticed that right after I posted. However, I've been having problems installing the downloads for a while now. I'm trying one more time to see if it works. I'll post here if not.

in the case that is not a transient overload at Microsoft Update site as DJM stated, sometimes Windows Update get lost if an network failure interrupts to process and it can restart due to file corruption. You can take a look at http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    but you can try also those ideas:
    a) boot on safe mode with networking and retry. Sometimes work
    b) delete Windows Updates folders (i think it is at Program files, hidden) <--- not a good idea allways
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

When I was using the Kerio firewall, I had to turn it off before I could download a driver update from the microsoft page. It would work fine for the other updates, but for two drivers it would just hang and sit there.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown