Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Update failure

Nope, there is nothing installed on that box yet. I just took it out of the wrapper and tried to get it all updated. There isn't much going on it besides what is already loaded.

I've stopped all registry start progams, and stopped all non microsoft services too...

Still have the problem.

I just can't figure out what that error means..

Guess its time to bust out filemon and regmon... see which database its looking for.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

By the way, how do you go about saving an update to disk for installation? I've looked but never found such an option at the Windows Update website, it always automatically downloads and installs from the website. Am I overlooking something?

Antionline Herpetologist
    Click the "More Info..." link. That usually gives you a link to save the update to disk.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    By the way, how do you go about saving an update to disk for installation? I've looked but never found such an option at the Windows Update website, it always automatically downloads and installs from the website. Am I overlooking something?
    Go to www.microsoft.com and type in the kb number into search... but just the number.
    ex: kb824105 I'd just put in 824105 and it'll return results. The first or second link you will see download in the url. Go to that link and download it to disk.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Hey,

I've been getting an error and haven't be able to get any updates. I ended up having to search microsoft for the KB numbers. But it worked and everything is updated now.

Peace,
    HT

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    phishphreek80,
    this one is a bitch. I tried just about every keyword combo I could think of and just about every major search engine I could think of...and to no avail. I spent a good time looking and ironically enough, I managed to find 3-4 other forums where someone was asking the identical question you were. Here's what really pissed me off - not one of them was answered in any of the forums. figures .

Unless of course you can translate this:
    Jest sm enkrat ze mel tega crva in sem ga lepo odstranil. sedaj pa se je ponovilo, vendar ne morem ukrepati.Ce zazenem regedit mi ga sklop po 15 sek al pa se prej, tko de sploh ne morem it pogledat kva je tam napisan. Pa sem instaliru un popravek od microsofta, pa sem z remuval tool-om pregeldu pa nec ne najde. aja pa se to sred instaliranja unga microsoftovga popravka je zmer vn vrgl, tk da sm mogu u safe mode instalirat.
    Kaj je problem?

This was someone's response on some foreign website to the same question(and the only reason I knew it was the same question was because the error message posted was identical to yours).
    I even tried translating the damn thing because it got so frustrating to hit so many dead ends.
    I'll keep looking though...maybe I can find the answer in latin or swahili.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

That might be more into the serbian/croatian/russian/czech side. Well they're saying something about safe mode ...

Actually its slovak, if you can find a translator, you're good to go . I'll look around for one

That might be more into the serbian/croatian/russian/czech side. Well they're saying something about safe mode ...

Actually its slovak, if you can find a translator, you're good to go . I'll look around for one

Are you downloading the updates with mozillia or IE. I tried for a week to upgrade with mozilla and nothing would work either, then I tried IE and it worked fine.

Next, have you deleted all the files you downloaded and downloaded them fresh again?

Otherwise there might just be a bug that you have to wait out.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Are you downloading the updates with mozillia or IE. I tried for a week to upgrade with mozilla and nothing would work either, then I tried IE and it worked fine.

Next, have you deleted all the files you downloaded and downloaded them fresh again?

Otherwise there might just be a bug that you have to wait out.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-