Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Update failure

Originally posted here by Lansing_Banda
    Are you downloading the updates with mozillia or IE. I tried for a week to upgrade with mozilla and nothing would work either, then I tried IE and it worked fine.

Next, have you deleted all the files you downloaded and downloaded them fresh again?

Otherwise there might just be a bug that you have to wait out.
    I'm downloading using IE 6 sp1 with all other patches. I thought that the only way you can use windows up date is through the IE client? If I try to use something like mozilla, I'm told that I have to use IE.

Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update.

Download the latest version of Internet Explorer

Once Internet Explorer is installed, you can go to the Windows Update site by typing http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com into the address bar of Internet Explorer.

If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows may be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.
    I have deleted every trace of the failed install and files that I could find.

When the update starts to install itself, it hangs and I can see it in task manager.
    If I kill that specific update, all the rest scroll through very quickly but they ALL fail.

I'll have to dig a little deaper and look for the logs to see what exactly is failing...

ShagDevil: I come up with the same results that you are. None that explain it in english...

Thanks for looking though. I really appreciate it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by Lansing_Banda
    Are you downloading the updates with mozillia or IE. I tried for a week to upgrade with mozilla and nothing would work either, then I tried IE and it worked fine.

Next, have you deleted all the files you downloaded and downloaded them fresh again?

Otherwise there might just be a bug that you have to wait out.
    I'm downloading using IE 6 sp1 with all other patches. I thought that the only way you can use windows up date is through the IE client? If I try to use something like mozilla, I'm told that I have to use IE.

Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update.

Download the latest version of Internet Explorer

Once Internet Explorer is installed, you can go to the Windows Update site by typing http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com into the address bar of Internet Explorer.

If you prefer to use a different Web browser, updates to Windows may be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.
    I have deleted every trace of the failed install and files that I could find.

When the update starts to install itself, it hangs and I can see it in task manager.
    If I kill that specific update, all the rest scroll through very quickly but they ALL fail.

I'll have to dig a little deaper and look for the logs to see what exactly is failing...

ShagDevil: I come up with the same results that you are. None that explain it in english...

Thanks for looking though. I really appreciate it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Regal Making Handler
    Try installing with the command line. Details below.

Installation Information
    This security patch supports the following Setup switches:
    /? : Display the list of installation switches.
    /u : Use Unattended mode.
    /f : Force other programs to quit when the computer shuts down.
    /n : Do not back up files for removal.
    /o : Overwrite OEM files without prompting.
    /z : Do not restart when installation is complete.
    /q : Use Quiet mode (no user interaction).
    /l : List installed hotfixes.
    /x : Extract the files without running Setup.
    Deployment Information
    To install the security patch without any user intervention, use the following command:
    WindowsXP-KB824105-x86-ENU /u /q To install the security patch without forcing the computer to restart, use the following command:
    WindowsXP-KB824105-x86-ENU /z Note You can combine these switches in one command
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Regal Making Handler
    Try installing with the command line. Details below.

Installation Information
    This security patch supports the following Setup switches:
    /? : Display the list of installation switches.
    /u : Use Unattended mode.
    /f : Force other programs to quit when the computer shuts down.
    /n : Do not back up files for removal.
    /o : Overwrite OEM files without prompting.
    /z : Do not restart when installation is complete.
    /q : Use Quiet mode (no user interaction).
    /l : List installed hotfixes.
    /x : Extract the files without running Setup.
    Deployment Information
    To install the security patch without any user intervention, use the following command:
    WindowsXP-KB824105-x86-ENU /u /q To install the security patch without forcing the computer to restart, use the following command:
    WindowsXP-KB824105-x86-ENU /z Note You can combine these switches in one command
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I have seen this before with another person that fixed their problem using "scandisk". You could have some small errors on the HD itself keeping you from having a functional system. The worse thing that you might have to do is use scandisk, then try a fresh install....
    Worse case scenario... your HD is failing...

Thats my 2¢ worth I guess...
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

I have seen this before with another person that fixed their problem using "scandisk". You could have some small errors on the HD itself keeping you from having a functional system. The worse thing that you might have to do is use scandisk, then try a fresh install....
    Worse case scenario... your HD is failing...

Thats my 2¢ worth I guess...
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

Well, now I'm stuck. I spent all afternoon trying to download an update but the server was simply too slow because of the virus attacks on MS. I told it to cancel, but it hung up when trying to undo the download. So now today when I'm trying to start the download over again, I'm getting the message "Another installation is already in progress".

Now how do get around that? The "installation already in progress" simply hung up before I could reverse it, so now I'm stuck!

Well, now I'm stuck. I spent all afternoon trying to download an update but the server was simply too slow because of the virus attacks on MS. I told it to cancel, but it hung up when trying to undo the download. So now today when I'm trying to start the download over again, I'm getting the message "Another installation is already in progress".

Now how do get around that? The "installation already in progress" simply hung up before I could reverse it, so now I'm stuck!

AO Part Timer
    Speaking of the lsass vuln and the clogged winupdate site, I found this

Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
    Here

If you take it at face value it is actually kind of funny.

As for your update phish, I've been having the same trouble with the same two patches. They either hang, won't connect, or ask for permission to access the net over and over. Even If I create a rule allowing it freedom out, it still hangs eventually. I'd defenitley be interested in a resolution.

My box is a VPR Matrix, bestbuy premade.

Be safe and stay free
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

AO Part Timer
    Speaking of the lsass vuln and the clogged winupdate site, I found this

Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
    Here

If you take it at face value it is actually kind of funny.

As for your update phish, I've been having the same trouble with the same two patches. They either hang, won't connect, or ask for permission to access the net over and over. Even If I create a rule allowing it freedom out, it still hangs eventually. I'd defenitley be interested in a resolution.

My box is a VPR Matrix, bestbuy premade.

Be safe and stay free
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark