Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ip Address

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: IP ADDRESS

Originally posted here by @ng3lu$
    And is it possible that because of my private address when i connect to P2P client i have to be in passive mode instead of active?
    Cause if you want to be in active mode you have to type IP address but when i type my real IP address it does not work.
    So may i change from private address to real IP or is it because i got router/modem?
    Yes, this will be why.

To be able to use your real IP address you may need to look at your router settings.

My router describes this as a 'Virtual Server' and it allows you to map ports from the internet to ports on the internal network.

Hence : To map tcp port 22 you would set up a virtual server entry thus:

ID-1 Public Port-22 Private Port-22 Port Type-TCP Host IP Address-10.0.0.1

You need to know which ports to map for your P2P and to examine the settings for your router.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

IP ADDRESS

Well when i access the router settings(10.0.0.138)
    There is HOME menu (shows Model of firmware,speed of connection etc....)
    LAN menu (LAN config,DHCP mode,DCHP server, and DHCP relay)
    WAN menu (DSL,ATM VC,PPP,EOA,IPOA)
    Bridging menu(Bridging,LAN config,DSL,ATM VC,EOA)
    Routing menu shows only routing table
    Services (NAT,RIP,IP Filter,DNS,Blocked Protocols,Firewall)
    and Admin menu

So I am a LITTLE confused what to set up or how to rid of private IP and set real IP if possible.

IP ADDRESS

Well when i access the router settings(10.0.0.138)
    There is HOME menu (shows Model of firmware,speed of connection etc....)
    LAN menu (LAN config,DHCP mode,DCHP server, and DHCP relay)
    WAN menu (DSL,ATM VC,PPP,EOA,IPOA)
    Bridging menu(Bridging,LAN config,DSL,ATM VC,EOA)
    Routing menu shows only routing table
    Services (NAT,RIP,IP Filter,DNS,Blocked Protocols,Firewall)
    and Admin menu

So I am a LITTLE confused what to set up or how to rid of private IP and set real IP if possible.

If your wanting DHCP set up, you'l need to go to the LAN menu and configure your scope (range of IP's to assign).

As long as your behind a router, the only way you'll be able to get close to a real IP is if you use the DMZ port. This port will be just like you plugged into the modem directly. However I believe you'll still have a 10.x.x.x.x IP. You won't ever be able to get the IP that your modem assigns your router as long as your plugged into the router.

As long as your on the router it will always or in most cases be a private IP.
    =

If your wanting DHCP set up, you'l need to go to the LAN menu and configure your scope (range of IP's to assign).

As long as your behind a router, the only way you'll be able to get close to a real IP is if you use the DMZ port. This port will be just like you plugged into the modem directly. However I believe you'll still have a 10.x.x.x.x IP. You won't ever be able to get the IP that your modem assigns your router as long as your plugged into the router.

As long as your on the router it will always or in most cases be a private IP.
    =