I am running windows 98nt on an emachine. My son managed to pick up the virus W32/Protoride.worm and it is also called Bkdr.ircbot.b. I can find it with my virus scan(I have used housecall, Mcaffee and FixIt. All detect it but Fixit says it cant be cleaned. I tried to install Nortons but it wont let me open it as now my computer says that it is missing the start.exe file. The virus is located in the following folder Windows/Startmenu/Programs/Startup/msupdate.exe . I have tried everything I can think of to get this out of here. I cant take it out manually be cause I cant open the folder it is in due to the missing Start.exe file. Funny thing is when I do a scan the start.exe file is found but it is in the infected folder so it won't let me use it. Is there any way to clean this worm out of my computer without doing a complete restore on my complete system. I am unable to open programs on my desktop due to the missing file. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have been working on this for 3 days straight and am at wits end. Thanks. tkbest