Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tracing Mac Addresses

I would take it that if anyone isn't familiar with the terms I use they'd go to www.webopedia.com or google for it. Next I'll take the time to explain it all out. Sorry if I confused you more.

Don't take this as an insult because it's not meant as one...just a really good rule to live by. "You've got to be smarter than the thing with which you are working." A blow dryer is a good example. Some people find it necessary to blow dry their hair while taking a nap. Hence the warning on it not to use it while sleeping.

Always know what you are connecting to your network and how that device works, that way you'll know what belongs and what doesn't. If you are concerned about something that possibly shouldn't be there then you have documentation to prove your hjypothesis correct or incorrect. See what I mean?

Let me know if I didn't explain this in detail enough. I will explain more.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I would take it that if anyone isn't familiar with the terms I use they'd go to www.webopedia.com or google for it. Next I'll take the time to explain it all out. Sorry if I confused you more.

Don't take this as an insult because it's not meant as one...just a really good rule to live by. "You've got to be smarter than the thing with which you are working." A blow dryer is a good example. Some people find it necessary to blow dry their hair while taking a nap. Hence the warning on it not to use it while sleeping.

Always know what you are connecting to your network and how that device works, that way you'll know what belongs and what doesn't. If you are concerned about something that possibly shouldn't be there then you have documentation to prove your hjypothesis correct or incorrect. See what I mean?

Let me know if I didn't explain this in detail enough. I will explain more.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Just an FYI,

The 1st 6 hex digits/24 bits of a MAC address are referred to as "OUI" numbers (organization unique identifier). Assigned and maintained by IEEE. Here's a link to some of major vendors. http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt

Just an FYI,

The 1st 6 hex digits/24 bits of a MAC address are referred to as "OUI" numbers (organization unique identifier). Assigned and maintained by IEEE. Here's a link to some of major vendors. http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt

Now explain hex and bits, gunit*70932.... Cause you lost me.
    - Samuel Johnson

Now explain hex and bits, gunit*70932.... Cause you lost me.
    - Samuel Johnson

Hi,

you might want to check the Log file of your AP, Also if it is a cisco AP then check the Association table in the settings, Under both the log and the table it will give you list of MAC Address that are getting authenticated and associated to your AP. Also you might want to run Netasyst which is a sniffer .(works with most of the cards)

MRG

Hi,

you might want to check the Log file of your AP, Also if it is a cisco AP then check the Association table in the settings, Under both the log and the table it will give you list of MAC Address that are getting authenticated and associated to your AP. Also you might want to run Netasyst which is a sniffer .(works with most of the cards)

MRG

U can us reverse ARP lookup, this enables you to convert the MAC to an IP,

The problem with this is that if someone is coming and go to and from your wireless ap, the likely hood of there IP changing is high. But there MAC address is highly unlikely to change.

It would probably be more hassle free if you just secure you network against these attacks and learn something from them instead of trying to take revenge, Its up to you though..and im not saying its good or bad (I couldnt care less). But thats probably what Id do.

i2c

U can us reverse ARP lookup, this enables you to convert the MAC to an IP,

The problem with this is that if someone is coming and go to and from your wireless ap, the likely hood of there IP changing is high. But there MAC address is highly unlikely to change.

It would probably be more hassle free if you just secure you network against these attacks and learn something from them instead of trying to take revenge, Its up to you though..and im not saying its good or bad (I couldnt care less). But thats probably what Id do.

i2c