Thread: How antivirus indentify Malware?

How antivirus indentify Malware?

How antivirus indentify Malware, Trojan, Backdoor, and etc?
    Is the following a Malware, Trojan, Backdoor, and etc?

DameWare NT Utilities

DameWare NT Utilities is an enterprise system management application for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003, which provides an integrated collection of Microsoft Windows NT administration utilities incorporating a centralized interface for remote management of Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Servers and Workstations. All of the standard Windows NT/2000/2003 Server and Windows NT/2000/XP Workstation utilities are included, along with many DameWare NT Utilities custom NT tools including Mini Remote Control. Most of the standard utilities have been drastically enhanced for superior performance, added functionality and ease of use.

Source: http://www.dameware.com/

RemotelyAnywhere

Reduce downtime and maximize the efficiency of your support staff with RemotelyAnywhere Enterprise Edition. This remote PC management application for Microsoft Windows offers rapid access to troubled computers, a robust selection of diagnostic and administrative tools, and an easy company-wide deployment system that is accessible from any web browser.

Source: http://remotelyanywhere.com/

The above two is only example, there are many others remote control software not detected as a trojan house, backdoor, or malware. (Netop,...). I need to know how antivirus company consider it is a virus? Is there any standard on this?

How antivirus indentify Malware?

How antivirus indentify Malware, Trojan, Backdoor, and etc?
    Is the following a Malware, Trojan, Backdoor, and etc?

DameWare NT Utilities

DameWare NT Utilities is an enterprise system management application for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003, which provides an integrated collection of Microsoft Windows NT administration utilities incorporating a centralized interface for remote management of Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Servers and Workstations. All of the standard Windows NT/2000/2003 Server and Windows NT/2000/XP Workstation utilities are included, along with many DameWare NT Utilities custom NT tools including Mini Remote Control. Most of the standard utilities have been drastically enhanced for superior performance, added functionality and ease of use.

Source: http://www.dameware.com/

RemotelyAnywhere

Reduce downtime and maximize the efficiency of your support staff with RemotelyAnywhere Enterprise Edition. This remote PC management application for Microsoft Windows offers rapid access to troubled computers, a robust selection of diagnostic and administrative tools, and an easy company-wide deployment system that is accessible from any web browser.

Source: http://remotelyanywhere.com/

The above two is only example, there are many others remote control software not detected as a trojan house, backdoor, or malware. (Netop,...). I need to know how antivirus company consider it is a virus? Is there any standard on this?

The way i`ve personally always thought about it is that if it is a backdoor/trojan like Sub7 you can install it on the "victims" computer without having to install or set it up locally. But genuine remote managment types like WinVNC you have to either install it or set it up locall. E.g. in WinVNC you have to set a password for the connection locally on the computer before you are able to connect.
    Some people might diffrent opions but thats just how i`ve always looked at it.

The way i`ve personally always thought about it is that if it is a backdoor/trojan like Sub7 you can install it on the "victims" computer without having to install or set it up locally. But genuine remote managment types like WinVNC you have to either install it or set it up locall. E.g. in WinVNC you have to set a password for the connection locally on the computer before you are able to connect.
    Some people might diffrent opions but thats just how i`ve always looked at it.