Thread: Pc re-boots during full AV scan but is ok in 'safe mode'

Pc re-boots during full AV scan but is ok in 'safe mode'

ok here we go...

I'm running Win XPhome... 1.8GHzprocessor...128MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM... 40gig hhd (can u tell im a noob yet?? lol i know all this cause its written on the front of my box.)

I've tried Norton AV & got rid of it cause it slugged my boxs cpu & generally kept annoying me every 15mins or so... (when i ran a full AV scan system re-booted )

also tried VET which was gr8 for the cpu but i felt it didnt really do a thorough job even when it did a complete scan (which was rare)

i now run TDS-3, which slugs the cpu, but picked up things that the others missed, before it re-booted that is.(happy with that bit not happy that when its running i cant do anything else )...

but... & here they come... when i run it, TDS-3, it re-boots the system
    it doesnt re-boot in 'safe mode' (didnt try the others in 'safe mode')

i have removed all other AVs from the system prior to re-running TDS-3 & it still re-boots (but doesnt re-boot in 'safe mode')

so... can someone please explain to me what 'safe mode' actually is & therefore maybe explain to me why it doesnt re-boot while in this mode?

a few people had suggested that it might be an overheating problem but now i'm not so sure??

"am thinking im getting in over my head."

Pc re-boots during full AV scan but is ok in 'safe mode'

ok here we go...

I'm running Win XPhome... 1.8GHzprocessor...128MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM... 40gig hhd (can u tell im a noob yet?? lol i know all this cause its written on the front of my box.)

I've tried Norton AV & got rid of it cause it slugged my boxs cpu & generally kept annoying me every 15mins or so... (when i ran a full AV scan system re-booted )

also tried VET which was gr8 for the cpu but i felt it didnt really do a thorough job even when it did a complete scan (which was rare)

i now run TDS-3, which slugs the cpu, but picked up things that the others missed, before it re-booted that is.(happy with that bit not happy that when its running i cant do anything else )...

but... & here they come... when i run it, TDS-3, it re-boots the system
    it doesnt re-boot in 'safe mode' (didnt try the others in 'safe mode')

i have removed all other AVs from the system prior to re-running TDS-3 & it still re-boots (but doesnt re-boot in 'safe mode')

so... can someone please explain to me what 'safe mode' actually is & therefore maybe explain to me why it doesnt re-boot while in this mode?

a few people had suggested that it might be an overheating problem but now i'm not so sure??

"am thinking im getting in over my head."

Regal Making Handler
    Your post is a bit confusing, but i will try to help you out. Ok safemode is a diagnostic way to boot your pc and a way to fix some problems. It basicaly boots the pc wth the minimum of services and drivers.

To boot into safe mode you nead to press F8 as the computer starts up. This should than give you a black screen with white text on it, like a dos screen. Here you will find a list of boot options. You should use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to highlight boot into safe mode and then press enter. Thpc will then continue to boot, as safe mode loads you will be given a text box with an option to use system restore or continue using safe mode.

From within safe mode you can run your AV anti Trojan scans which should be more succesfull as anything suspect should not be loaded and in use by the system. You should also disable system restore befor running any scan. This can be done by right clicking my computer ant then properties then system restore, and checking the turn off system restore box.

Can you post anymore info, why do you think you have a virus trojan etc. What other simptoms there are.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Regal Making Handler
    Your post is a bit confusing, but i will try to help you out. Ok safemode is a diagnostic way to boot your pc and a way to fix some problems. It basicaly boots the pc wth the minimum of services and drivers.

To boot into safe mode you nead to press F8 as the computer starts up. This should than give you a black screen with white text on it, like a dos screen. Here you will find a list of boot options. You should use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to highlight boot into safe mode and then press enter. Thpc will then continue to boot, as safe mode loads you will be given a text box with an option to use system restore or continue using safe mode.

From within safe mode you can run your AV anti Trojan scans which should be more succesfull as anything suspect should not be loaded and in use by the system. You should also disable system restore befor running any scan. This can be done by right clicking my computer ant then properties then system restore, and checking the turn off system restore box.

Can you post anymore info, why do you think you have a virus trojan etc. What other simptoms there are.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

cool. ty. thats what i wanted to know.

the reason i went in that direction (towards a trojan) was because VET kept telling me there was 1 in there & it kept popping up 'such & such a trojan on your system' (please dont ask me what it was called) & i couldnt get rid of it. a full system scan ended in a re-boot & i was no better off.

i read a thread in here that mentioned that TDS got rid of trojans & vwala there i was with a useful tool on any other system but mine.

i pm'd someone in here & they gave me a list to try & it just so happened that their suggestions worked, (try having 1 AV installed at a time, makes sense now lol, & run it in 'safe mode') & i was just wondering why, but now i know... so ty.

now i seem (i say seem cause im not 100% sure yet) to have got rid of it & the system scans clean (even out of 'safe mode')

the computer has picked up a bit & evreyones happy... well im happy anyway. (for now. lol)

thanks for the explanation.

'I might get the hang of this yet' lol

cool. ty. thats what i wanted to know.

the reason i went in that direction (towards a trojan) was because VET kept telling me there was 1 in there & it kept popping up 'such & such a trojan on your system' (please dont ask me what it was called) & i couldnt get rid of it. a full system scan ended in a re-boot & i was no better off.

i read a thread in here that mentioned that TDS got rid of trojans & vwala there i was with a useful tool on any other system but mine.

i pm'd someone in here & they gave me a list to try & it just so happened that their suggestions worked, (try having 1 AV installed at a time, makes sense now lol, & run it in 'safe mode') & i was just wondering why, but now i know... so ty.

now i seem (i say seem cause im not 100% sure yet) to have got rid of it & the system scans clean (even out of 'safe mode')

the computer has picked up a bit & evreyones happy... well im happy anyway. (for now. lol)

thanks for the explanation.

'I might get the hang of this yet' lol

Hi,

1. Reinstall VET.............it is a good AV product

TDS3 (Trojan Detection Suite 3) from Diamond Computer Systems is about the best of breed IMHO, but it is AT not AV..........and you do need both.

Whilst I am on about them, go to http://www.diamondcs.com.au and get their free RegistryProt

2. You are running XP on 128Mb of RAM

You need more old chap...............XP is a greedy little puppy............get a 256 or 512 strip and put it where the existing one is, then put the 128 in the vacant slot. Damn thing will go like a belt fed mortar

Cheers

Hi,

1. Reinstall VET.............it is a good AV product

TDS3 (Trojan Detection Suite 3) from Diamond Computer Systems is about the best of breed IMHO, but it is AT not AV..........and you do need both.

Whilst I am on about them, go to http://www.diamondcs.com.au and get their free RegistryProt

2. You are running XP on 128Mb of RAM

You need more old chap...............XP is a greedy little puppy............get a 256 or 512 strip and put it where the existing one is, then put the 128 in the vacant slot. Damn thing will go like a belt fed mortar

Cheers