Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: No need for a firewall or anti-virus application after the fact

Originally posted here by lumpyporridge
    No trojan is going to disable my hardware firewall, And firewalls are good things ....argggh
    No, the hackers just walk through your firewall is all they do to perform their malicious activity. This is of course that you installed the hardware firewall, disabled Windows services which are left open; for starters.

trackit

Originally posted here by lumpyporridge
    No trojan is going to disable my hardware firewall, And firewalls are good things ....argggh
    No, the hackers just walk through your firewall is all they do to perform their malicious activity. This is of course that you installed the hardware firewall, disabled Windows services which are left open; for starters.

trackit

Mind explaining how exactly they "walk through the firewall"? I have never heard of this. I always thought there had to be ports left open with a service running that had an exploit. Most hardware firewalls just close everything as they should, and you have to open them yourself. Most hardware firewalls also do not have exploits. Please explain yourself more throughly.

Mind explaining how exactly they "walk through the firewall"? I have never heard of this. I always thought there had to be ports left open with a service running that had an exploit. Most hardware firewalls just close everything as they should, and you have to open them yourself. Most hardware firewalls also do not have exploits. Please explain yourself more throughly.

T3h Ch3F

Track.

Originally posted here by trackit

trackit

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my first post, in response to your thread. (instead of being an ass, which I enjoy at times when I am intoxicated).

Although it may be simple to post open ended statements, at least give some examples with regards to your claims. You will more than likely get better results, and ppl. will benefit from your information. As it stands all I see is a blanket statement, with no supporting information, whether true or not. To many ppl. it is not provocative enough to respond to.

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

T3h Ch3F

Track.

Originally posted here by trackit

trackit

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my first post, in response to your thread. (instead of being an ass, which I enjoy at times when I am intoxicated).

Although it may be simple to post open ended statements, at least give some examples with regards to your claims. You will more than likely get better results, and ppl. will benefit from your information. As it stands all I see is a blanket statement, with no supporting information, whether true or not. To many ppl. it is not provocative enough to respond to.

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

I hate reading thread's when I only know two languages.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Senior since the 3 dot era
    like french and english are only two languages

No need for a firewall or anti-virus application if your on a Windows Platform and you didn't disable the services Windows leaves open
    So by not disabling windows services, there is no need for AV or firewall?I would think the opposite. Uneeded services that open ports need a firewall to protect them if you cant close them yourself.

Your computer already has file and print sharing open and anyone in the world can view what is on your hard drive, add whatever they desire to add, including Backdoors and Trojan Horses.
    See attached pic

And don't forget that Trojan Horses disable your firewall, whether hardware or software and any anti-virus
    application on your computer.
    Not if its password protected, like NIS is. unless is exploits it somehow of course.

Don't forget the malicious hackers use victims computers, running Virtual Private Networks and Dial-Up Servers with Pre-paid
    Phone Cards.
    And don't forget to brush your teeth either.

No, the hackers just walk through your firewall is all they do to perform their malicious activity.
    Walking through firewalls...pfff. There have been vulnerabilities, but I hardly call it walking through them.

quote:
    No need for a firewall or anti-virus application if your on a Windows Platform and you didn't disable the services Windows leaves open

So by not disabling windows services, there is no need for AV or firewall?I would think the opposite. Uneeded services that open ports need a firewall to protect them if you cant close them yourself.

Are you forgetting that many people here asking security questions are home users who have no concept of computer security, anti-virus or firewalls?

quote:
    And don't forget that Trojan Horses disable your firewall, whether hardware or software and any anti-virus application on your computer.

Not if its password protected, like NIS is. unless is exploits it somehow of course.

Are you saying that a person who puts their Windows Platform computer on the Internet with no anti-virus or firewalls from the beginning - their computer isn't already hackable? By this time, a Backdoor or Trojan Horse is already set-up and there is no looking back. Also, the hacker may have already installed a keylogger so what the hell is password protecting going to safeguard you from?

trackit