BlueJacking: BlueTooth vulnerabilities

Wardriver looking for a new hobby? Try BlueJacking

You'll need:
    - A BlueTooth enabled device.
    - A BlueTooth Wardriving utility: Bluesniff, PenTest, or Redfang

More links:
    What is BlueJacking?
    War-nibling PDF at @stake
    Blog with updated news: this blog is owned by the The Bunker people, who claim to have the most secure data facility in the world...

Regal Making Handler
    Some more tools you'll nead also:

Access to the same room as your target. So a good breaking and entering kit.
    And maybe some good disquises for when your stood next to the target.

After all bluetooth only works upto, what 10m. I have read that developers are looking into the possibilty of getting it to work at distances off 1 hundred metres. So bluejacking maybe something to worry about in the future but imho, untill the technology reaches the stage where bluetooth radio waves can pass through walls and go beyond a reassonable distance this should not be of concern.

I use bluetooth a bit i sync my phone and outlook on my laptop, also i use it to access the net with my hand held via my phone when i'm out and about. So i no how limited the current technoloy is, the signal will not pass through anything more dense than a paperbag.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Thats all true jinxy, but what about this...

Your downtown, whatever your metropolitan area maybe, and your in a big city hall or marte where its a huge room not divided by walls. Accordingly, there are likely to be many people there with bluetooth technolgy.

Wouldn't this be a great setup for bluejacking because there are so many people around.

I agree with both jinxy and Iceborg on this.. The only really depending factor on this, is where there using BlueTooth, and if you are within range. In a bit city with lots of people around, yes I would see your point, but the only dissadvantage to this is that, still, thats pretty close. I could see, if there seated somewhere or whatnot and not on the move yes..but other then that unless your a really fast typer this doesn't seem possible.

I haven't experimented with BlueTooth that much, but from what I see, this will be something to watch out for. It's making a strong rise, BlueTooth, I see it becoming a highly used device in the near future, but if it is..that means security will assuredly become better. The most notable would probably be the encryption techniques used..but thenagain, if BlueTooth doesn't get out into the mainstage then that really doesn't matter.....as people will be using other technologies.

Thanks for the info! Thats very interesting indeed. Could you give a breif description of these wardriving programs, what OS are they for, I would click on the link but man..my bandwidth is being increasingly taken up by d/l's, if I open another site i'll be sitting here for like an hr
    Signature image is too tall!

Originally posted here by jinxy

Not quite true. Many of the new devices out there have stronger transmitters that enables connection over distances over 100 meters. I use bluetooth to sync my phone/iPAQ/home PC and also for browsing the web on the iPAQ. I have no problems what so ever to, for an example, check my mail 40 meters from my apartment. Trough brick walls. I frequently pick up some neighbours BT devices, again trough brick walls. As I do not know which neighbour I can not tell you the distance to these devices but my point is nevertheless; while many manufacturers says BT transmissions have a 10 meter range it's not always true.

Hmm... That must mean that everything I read on the Internet isn't always true. I'm shocked

But then again, bluejacking is pretty harmless since what you do is basicly sending a contact from your contact list with a message where the name should be. And to do this you don't need any software other than whats already installed in your cellphone/PDA. Not sure about laptops though.

And, by the way, bluetooth devices with 100 meter range is already up for sale. No too expensive either
    [shadow] Nobody\'s perfect, but I\'m damn close...[/shadow]

Originally posted here by jinxy

Not quite true. Many of the new devices out there have stronger transmitters that enables connection over distances over 100 meters. I use bluetooth to sync my phone/iPAQ/home PC and also for browsing the web on the iPAQ. I have no problems what so ever to, for an example, check my mail 40 meters from my apartment. Trough brick walls. I frequently pick up some neighbours BT devices, again trough brick walls. As I do not know which neighbour I can not tell you the distance to these devices but my point is nevertheless; while many manufacturers says BT transmissions have a 10 meter range it's not always true.

Hmm... That must mean that everything I read on the Internet isn't always true. I'm shocked

But then again, bluejacking is pretty harmless since what you do is basicly sending a contact from your contact list with a message where the name should be. And to do this you don't need any software other than whats already installed in your cellphone/PDA. Not sure about laptops though.

And, by the way, bluetooth devices with 100 meter range is already up for sale. No too expensive either
    [shadow] Nobody\'s perfect, but I\'m damn close...[/shadow]