Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help asap 204 parasites.

I would download SpyBot Search & Destroy and AdAware, update them and run them in safe mode and let them delete what they find.

Do the same with CWShredder

Then run "Housecall" from Trend Micro with the automatic cleaning option checked.

Then run your SpyHunter and see what it finds?

Good luck

i downlded spybot search and ran both it and adaware in safemode, spybot fixed 1 thing in my shared folders, adaware found nothing, then i ran cwshredder and it removed cws.msconfig, i ran housecall, not in safemode, because my computer insisted i did not have a modem in safe mode, when i rebooted, i had to reconfigure my provider. now, i have to do that every time i reboot my computer. anyway, housecall found nothing, spyhunter found several things but will not fix anything until i pay and i have not worked in three weeks due to an illness, no money. ... also of concern to me. when i run in safe mode, and extra option for sign on comes up, usually i have 2 accounts, mine and my daughters, but in safe mode there is a new one that is just listed as administrator... is it supposed to be there? there is no password for the administrator account even though both mine, and my daughter's both have one. is this supposed to be like this?

Yes you are suppose to have an administrator account, and it only shows up in 'Safe Mode'. The default password of this account is just a blank field, so you should change it and make it a good and difficult one (but one you can remember or at least wrie it down and store it in a safe (place).
    You should rename this account also, but if you are using XP Home that is not an option. XP Pro will allow you to rename it though, I have heard.
    This account is the absolute root of your system.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I really only have one thing to say about crap like spyhunter..............uninstall it in safe mode.

I once ran it on an absolutey brand new machine.............never been on the net...........guess what???

Also, go through your startup, and remove anything you don't need all the time. Whilst you are doing that, remove any time expired trial versions of stuff.

My next move would be to run a registry cleaner, and remove any "orphans"

Then get a 30 day trial of Moosoft's "The cleaner" and DiamondCS's "TDS3" and run them.

Good luck

how do i set a password for the admin acct? it does not give me the option in safemode that i found, and it does not show up in regular mode....also, is wild tangent a good thing or bad thing? it keeps showing up on my scans, i don't really play many games, although my daughter sometimes does, but we are both sims fanatics, is it neccessary, would i be better off removing it?... also, i installed zone alarm pro, and while setting it up it said that i had a network trying to connect to me, it gave an isp address of 169.254.0.0/255.255.0.0 how do i find out where this is, and how can i be networked if i only have one computer?

right after i posted this message, something tried to take over my computer again and almost succeeded. i think the firewall stopped it but something was done, i am not sure what, i saw a couple of screens flash by and then it all stopped. i am being pinged constantly, when i clicked on the do not show this message again was when this happened. then i was knocked off the internet. is it possible to have 2 different isps on this machine?

when i tried to get back on my computer, the next day, my sys admin acct password had been changed and the zone alarm firewall willnot allow me to see any pages online, i can hook up online, but all pages come up as cannot display, please refresh. ... i am basically locked out of my computer now, is there a way to change the admin password without knowing it? i have tried to go back to previous uses that worked, but the computer starts to reinstall then says it cannot, i assume that this is because i do not know the system password anymore, i had logged in 3 times that last day with the password i set, and no problems, also after logging off antionline, i went back and did the scan to find out what open ports i have, ,,, four!! i cannot sent the report, because i cannot get online on my computer, i am using my roomates computer today to try to find an answer.... i tried to remove the firewall, but it will not let me because i need the admins password!! i cannot find my reinstall disket for xp. so that option is out, unless i can borrow one from a friend, my roomate offered his, but he has dell and i am hp.. i don't think that is legal is it? probobly not compatable anyway.. please help..

im not comming down on you by asking this but rather out of serious concern. if you've been this oblivious to scumware/spyware activity how have you been on keeping up on anti-virus updates?

this must be for you a rather eye opening experiance. maybe its time to swipe the computer clean and start over with your new cyber awareness. you'll find your machine runs better and faster unless, of course, you want to punish yourself for the crime of not knowing better
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

You really need to find yor HP recovery CD, as it appears that you have been owned, and the only safe solution is to format and reinstall your system.

I assume that you registered your purchase with HP when you bought the machine so you can ask them to supply you with a new CD if you have actually lost it. You really ought to do that to deal with future problems that might arise.

I do not think that it is Zone Alarm that is stopping you from viewing web pages that sounds more like another problem..............what is the message that displays down the bottom.............something like page not found or DNS error?

Search this site for a thread about dell recovery cds, there was one quite recently, which will explain how to use it..............I do not see any legality problem, but it will tell you that it is not a Dell Computer. As long as you paid for the OS it is legal.

Cheers