Thread: monitor problems

Angry monitor problems

I have resently started using 1024X768 res on my monitor and i think its the best thing i have ever done. i am running Windows XP and my problem is when you switch users and then someone else logs into their acount you get a clicking noise from the monitor like its shutting off then turning on again? any solutions?
    I AM FROM CANADA.....AND THEY THINK I AM SLOW EH!

Does it actually switch off and on?

Does the image wobble, then stabilise...............could be de-gaussing itself, but I am not sure why.

Am I right in thinking that the other users use different resolutions?................could you get one to change theirs to the same as yours and see if it still happens.

Cheers

that clicking noise (from within the monitor) is normal.. the monitor does have a protection scheme built in. It is becuase it's switching resolutons.. it's a small relay that you're hearing.. ignore it.

Yeah it perfectly normal to hear a clicking noise on CRT monitors when it resets itself aslong as when the display comes back it is OK its not a problem.

It shouldnt happen to TFT/Onyx Black type screens though.

Well,

I have only tried three, and cannot get it to happen?

IBM, Compaq and a CTX LCD

As sumdumguy said, that sounds perfectly normal to me.

I can replicate it on a Taxan and a Vivitron CRT.
    Won't happen on an LCD as that is different technology.

You should notice the same thing if you use a blank screen saver, and you move the mouse or whatever to cause the screen to wake up again.

Or just try switching resolutions from inside Windows, and see what happens - you should hear the same click

EDIT: should have added that when you log off Windows, it restarts in basic VGA mode, before loading the current settings and switching back to 1024*768, which is why you will hear the click.

ok...but the other users dont have different resolutions. when i change the screen res to 1024X768 all the other users become the same as mine. so i guess i'll just try to ignore it. i just thought something might be wrong with the monitor. and the monitor is a KDS @View i think

P.S. it doesnt make a clicking noise when i use a blank screen saver

It doesn't matter that other users have the same resolutions (1024*768).
    It's just what happens when WinXP restarts, when you logoff or switch users, as the monitor will switch resolution (twice!) at this point.

I should be more precise about my comment about a blank screen saver, which I setup in conjunction with the power saving options in WinXP, which causes the monitor (CRT) to go into standby mode, if not used for 20 mins say. This should have the same effect as a WinXP restart.

ok...ya it makes that noise when i set it to the stand by mode. well thanx everyone for your help and explanations