Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nmap Sucks!!!!1

when i scan my other comp, on the same lan, it doesnt take as long. but it still says that all ports are filtered. when i scan it with other port scanners it shows the ports that are open(which i know are open) whats with that?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well, to know for sure what is the LAN setup? What is it you're scanning and what devices are between you and it? (Just the Linksys as the connection?) What is the NMap switches/options that you are using?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

the lan setup is my 3 comps on a private network behind a linksys router which is the gateway. i've been just doing "nmap -vv -P0 -O -p 1-200 (P0 because it has a problem if i do pings and 1-200 to shorten the time the scan will take. if i do one port at a time(that i know is open) for instance, 139 is open, it will show up and say "interesting ports on this computer: 139(netbios)", status: filtered but if i do a scan from 1-200 it wont show that 139 is open, it just says that "all ports are filtered"(what filtered mean anyway?). i use netbrute and it works fine, doesnt seem to have any lag from the router or anything

if i do a connect() scan on insane mode, it goes fast and doesnt have any problems. why doesnt stealth scan work?(it always reports that the ports are all filtered) shouldnt it actually be better because its not detected? also, it seems to report the ports in a wierd order, like 80, then 1080, then 83, then 5190, then 82, 81. isnt it supposed to scan in numeric order?

quote from nmap site:
    ------------
    Nmap requires the free WinPcap packet capture library. Obtain and install the latest version from http://winpcap.polito.it. They distribute an executable installer which makes this easy. At the time of this writing, the latest version is 3.01 and is known to work. Please avoid Winpcap 3.1-BETA or newer because a a recent change is incompatible with Nmap 3.50. The next version of Nmap will have a workaround.
    -----------

This is weird since I run nmap3.50 and using winpcap 3.1 beta... The only problem I had (maybe they talk about this up here, was a long list of responses of Port "filtered"... but this happened only one time to me and only for one host, otherwise it runs ok. It seems to me you encounter the almost the same problem so the solution is to use the older version of winpcap or wait untill they fix it for the next nmap.

thnx