Thread: Spybot S&D - Spyware Blaster

Arrow Spybot S&D - Spyware Blaster

Hello all...

I recently installed both Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster, as I've heard that they work well together.

I'm confused as to what the difference is between these two applications.

I know that Spybot S&D scans and fixes spyware related issues and also adds some preventative measures, such as killbits for active x controls, browser helper object for bad downloads, hosts file entries, etc.

However, Spyware Blaster does not scan for anything, yet it seems as if it does the same things as Spybot S&D in terms of preventative measures. Although, it seems as if Spybot S&D is more comprehensive.

I'm just curious as to what the difference is? I know they are supposed to work well together, but if Spybot S&D seemingly covers everything (or does it), what's the point in using Spyware Blaster?

If Spybot S&D installs some of these preventative measures, such as active x kill bits, will Spyware Blaster overwrite or delete any of those killbits when using Spyware Blaster's set of kill bits? Or will it just add any kill bits that Spybot S&D missed?

I'm also curious if these programs work with K-Meleon? I know that it's based on the same engine as Mozilla/Firefox, right? Therefore since Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster are both compatible with Mozilla/Firefox, I'm assuming it will also work with K-Meleon?

Sorry about all these questions, and thanks for bearing with me!

Spyware Blaster is a complimentory program to Spybot S&D. Spybot only prevents approx 505 different malware style applications, but spyware Blaster is much more comprehensive. It prevents approx 1200 or so different malware progs.

Spybot even has a link for Spyware Blaster on its main consol, under the immuniziation section.

Spyware Blaster also has a dedicated section for Mozilla Firefox on it main consol, so I'm sure it will work with any compatable application to Firefox.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Banned
    You should also check out Ad-aware. I never used Spyblaster but i know Spybot doesnt detect some things ad-aware does, and vice-versa....

Regal Making Handler
    The fundimental difference with the two is sbybot is a scanning tool that looks for junk that is already on your pc. It does have a limited immunization feature but it's primary job is a removal tool.

Spyware Blaster on the other hand stops the crud from getting on you pc i the first place. Think of them as belt and braces. What one may miss the other should catch.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Ad-Aware

Adding something to what MemorY said, I think it's best to use the three of them together if you want to get the best results removing/protecting your computer against all kinds of spy/ad/malware.

SpyBot and Ad-Aware would be used to remove whatever is already in your machine while SpywareBlaster would protect you against malware installation.

And consider looking at spysweeper. www.spysweeper.com

I've dropped S&D and adaware for it.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

actually, If you can find it, look for the 1.3 release candidates of spybot S&D, currently it scans for over 15,000, and the resident shield protects for over 1200 signatures...

I've had adaware ignore stuff that spybot 1.2 found, and the 1.3 rc's are better than 1.2.

Very much worth a try.