Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sasser.a suspect caught

Thats not to hard.

he authorities have some "evidence" to analyze. LOL, can you see Ankit in a consulting position.
    I bet that for any reason the police would confiscate the computers of any of the antionline members that there is a shitload of "evidence" for instance you bookmarks. Does most probebly link to sites with info about and virii want to bet that they can make it look like you are going there because you wanted to learn how to write virii or something like that.

Wheter that kid did that or not, he is in serious problems. The moment they found more than a few games on his pc he had nowere to hide. If they want to(and i beleive they do) they can nail this guy to the ground. Wheter he is innocent or not.

And the netsky group. Well maybe he is a member. But I doubt he is going to tell. And even if he is going to tell. Wat is he going to know that can be of any help. I doubt they now the real name's of each ohter. IP's can be changend so can IRC channels/websites/E-mail adresses you name it.

But if he really is the guy. Than I have to say that was damn fast. Wich is another problem if he is part of skynet then he wouldn't have been such a "easy" capture.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Not bad that they have caught him. Could this worm be big if people would have updated their PC's? I think not because the Update for this problem existed a long time.
    If eEye kept the code private and worked with microsoft on a private profesional basis the internet user's wouldnt have had to cope with this and microsoft could have renounced it in there next hotfix users are patched damage would have been minimal if any

bleh
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

An update...suspect confesses

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4928653/

In a search of the suspect’s home, German investigators confiscated his customized computer, which contained the worm’s source code.
    The teenager told officials that his original intention was to create a virus called “Netsky A” that would combat the “Mydoom” and “Bagle” viruses, removing them from infected computers. In the course of that effort, he developed Sasser.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Who's to say that he wasn't a zombie? Or a friend just played a trick on him that morphed from his computer? And how did they find him so fast?

kurt_der_koenig---did you miss the part where it said he confessed?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I had to chuckle reading this as he wants to be a good programmer. Me thinks he might need to definately take some classes.

Source: Canoe Online

'Sasser' creator tried to limit damage
    By GEIR MOULSON
    Sasser worm shows need for IT security

BERLIN (AP) - An 18-year-old German who confessed to creating the Sasser computer worm launched a new version meant to limit the damage just before his arrest last week, investigators said Monday.

Authorities who have questioned Sven Jaschan got the impression his motive was to gain fame as a programmer, prosecutor Detlev Dyballa said. Dyballa described as speculation news media reports that Jaschan may have created the disruptive program to drum up business for his mother's computer store, PC-Help, in the small town of Waffensen.

"One can never rule out anything, but there are no facts to suggest it," he told The Associated Press by telephone.

Jaschan was arrested Friday at his mother's house, where police said agents found him sitting at his computer. Investigators say the machine contained the worm's source code.

Earlier Friday, investigators said, Jaschan unleashed the new Sasser e virus - a failed attempt to limit the damage caused by the four previous versions.

Frank Federau, a spokesman for the state criminal office in Hanover, said the worm was "a slightly modified form" of the program that raced around the world over the past week, exploiting a flaw in Microsoft's Windows operating system.

"He did it with good intentions, but it had exactly the same damaging effects," said Sascha Hanke, a Microsoft data protection official in Germany.

Like the other versions, the new variant - which notified users of a Microsoft patch against Sasser - caused computers to crash and reboot.

"The cause was erroneous programming of the virus," Hanke said.

Police have said Jaschan was responsible for all versions of Sasser as well as the Netsky virus.

He is being investigated on suspicion of computer sabotage, which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison. He was released pending charges after questioning last Friday, when he admitted creating Sasser, police said.

A trial could begin at the end of June, Dyballa said.

Investigators were still examining the contents of Jaschan's confiscated computer Monday.

"This will take quite a long time," criminal office spokesman Detlef Ehrike said. Officials are working to prepare hundreds of pages worth of data for a possible court case, he said.

The teenager has told officials his original intention was to create a virus, Netsky A, that would combat the Mydoom and Bagle viruses, removing them from infected computers.

That led him to develop the Netsky virus further - and after modifying it created Sasser.

"He's not stupid - he's a really good programmer," Dyballa said. "But I don't know whether he was aware of the scale" of the damage.

Sasser affects computers running Windows XP or 2000.

Last Monday, the worm hit public hospitals in Hong Kong and one-third of Taiwan's post office branches. Twenty British Airways flights were each delayed about 10 minutes Tuesday due to Sasser troubles at check-in desks, while British coast guard stations used pen and paper for charts normally generated by computer.

Waffensen residents described Jaschan as shy and withdrawn, and said he hoped to study computing after finishing high school.

"He only got involved when the talk turned to computers," said Christian Mueller, a chef at the Eichenhof restaurant. "I've never heard him talk about anything else."
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    and said he hoped to study computing after finishing high school.
    It might have been a good idea to wait until _after_ he studied computing to decide to write worms/viruses. That way he might have had a better idea of the overall effect he might have..... But I guess that is the young mind sometimes.... Us old farts need to learn all we can from the young before they all forget the 'everything" they know about "everything".... Like we all did.....

The result really is that another, potentially brilliant, mind may have been crippled by the experience..... such a waste really.... even if he was a bad coder..... there was room for improvement......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The result really is that another, potentially brilliant, mind may have been crippled by the experience..... such a waste really.... even if he was a bad coder..... there was room for improvement......
    Indeed. For some reason I kept thinking of the Morris Worm when reading this..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Morris was dragged into court, where his case made a ton of press. He was convicted of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and sentenced to three years of probation, 400 hours of community service, and a fine of $10,400. He appealed the case and lost. Morris now shows up occasionally at various functions, and most humorously was the network administrator for the Ig Nobel awards, an award ceremony run by a scientific parody paper.

Some conspiracy theorists have noted that the story of Robert Morris wouldn't be complete without mentioning his father, Robert Morris, who at the time of the release of the Morris Worm was the Chief Scientist of the NSA. He had a habit of bringing home neat **** for his son to play with (like one of the original Enigma Code machines), so perhaps his son got his hands on a fledging NSA project? Maybe. Sure makes gives you something to mull over coffee while your system is down from the newest attacks crippling the net. Morris' spirit lives on! (As does Morris, now a teacher at MIT).
    Source

I went to see what happened to him..... It seems he worked out ok..... At least as far as his sentence wasn't something that "cripples" his ability to keep learning and working.... I see so many of the more recent "perpetrators" given probations that keep them off computers or the internet for X years..... By the time they get back they are so far behind it's barely worth starting again.... Yet that could be a perfectly good mind if channeled correctly.....

Hmmm.... thoughts of "A Beautiful Mind".... Great movie.... If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth the watching.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I saw an article, in the newest "PC Magazine about this. It seems that Netsky, Sasser, Bagel, and MyDoom are, in fact, all related. (Netsky was supposed to be an AV worm to remove th others.) It seems to be a war between hacking groups. The source code is littered with insults back and forth between authors. One of which warning the other not to start something this big. Very interesting to see the underground at work, its like ant colonies. These people may be causing damage, but at least it's not human life, its a cyber war to see who can cause the most damage. Something that would be quite interesting is to see one virus work with the damage that another had already caused, to increase the damage exponentially.

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.