Thread: Computer Upgrade & Replacment of parts

Computer Upgrade & Replacment of parts

This is the first tutorial I make so I hope you all like it

Well I'm sure most of you know how to change all the parts on your CPU but they're always those other few who do not know how to. It's all quite simple actually once you get used to it.

In this tutorial I will teach you:
    • How to remove a case cover (believe it or not some people do not know how to do this)
    • Replace a system board
    • Replace a power supply
    • Replace a pentium CPU
    • Install/replace RAM
    • Replace an expansion card
    • Install a video card
    • Install a TV Tuner card
    • Install a sound card
    • Replace a hard drive
    • Replace a floppy drive
    • Install a tape drive
    • Install a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive

Chapter I - Computer Tools

To upgrade/replace hardware you will need the following tools: Screwdriver( (Slotted, Phllips and Torx), Nut drivers (3/16 inch and 1/4 inch), Pilers and/or tweezers (This can be used to adjust

jumpers), Chip Remover (self-explanitory), Magnet and grabber (To pick up and screws that might fall inside), Grounding strap (Later explained), Compressed air (You can use this to clean out any dust from the inside of your computer) and a Flashlight (so you iluminate the inside of your computer).

Chapter 2 - Grounding yourself

Your body sends off a very lots of static electricity which can damage any computer components, if you notice when you buy a computer part it comes in an anti-static bag to prevent from any damage. Therefore you should use a grounding strap or a grounding wire.

To use a grounding strap (you can do this in any order), you must first connect the strap to the computer case (any metal portion of the case would do) then wrap the other end around your wrist.

To use a grounding wire you must first (once again you can do this in any order) connect the rounded end to the hole on a 3 hole outlet then connect the other end to any metal portion of the computer, now you can just simply touch any metal part on the case and you're grounded.

You can also use a grounding mat to protect individual computer parts from static electricity. To connect a grounding mat simply connect the rounded end to the 3 hole outlet, then place the parts on the grounding mat.

I personally do not own any of these grounding tools I simply place one hand on a metal portion of the computer case and use my other hand to replace what I need to replace. I do not take

ANY responsibilty for any damaged computer parts if you use this method but I personally have not damaged any of my computer parts using this method.

Chapter 3 - Connectors

A ribbon cable is a cable that looks like this: http://www.cyberresearch.com/images/...588080.600.jpg . Most internal connectors in new computers are located on the system board others are found on expansion cards. To properly attach a ribbion cable, align the red colored edge with pin 1 (A number 1 or a dot is printer near the connector to indicate the location of pin 1).

An Enhanced Integrated Drive Electronics (EIDE) is a 40-pin male connector. A lot of new computers have two EIDE connecters, this allows you to connect two EIDE

ribbion cables to connect to computer devices (e.g. Harddrive & CD-ROM)

A Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) is a 50-pin male connector usually found on the SCSI expansion card.

A Floppy Drive connector is a 34-pin male cononector. All computers have one of these as you all know how old floppy drives are..this is pretty much self-explanitory though, it allows you to

connect a floppy drive.

A Serial connector is a 10-pin male connector you can use this connector to connect a serial port to a computer. Many new computer don't have an internal serial connector because the serial port is buily into the system board.

A Pin connector is either a 2 or 4 pin male conector. This allows you to connect an item (such as a light bulb) to the front portion of the case.

Chapter 4 - How to remove the case cover

Before you start to remove your computer case remember to shut down and unplug your computer.
    [list=1][*] Remove the screws from the back of the computer. Some computers don't have the computer case screws on the back so if you don't find them check the documentation. Some of the screws also hold the power supply, internal devices, etc.[*] Then slide the cover back or foward a short distance then lift straight up[/list=1]

This of course is for a tower case, I don't really know how to remove a desktop case so I'll leave that mystery up to you

Chapter 5 - Replacing a system board

[list=1][*] Remove all the expansion cards from the computer[*] Disconnect all cables from the system board[*] Remove all screws that secure the system board onto the case[*] There will be some plastic spacers which are called "standoffs" to prevent the computer from touching the computer case slide the system board slightly sideways to release the system board from this

then lift the system board out of the case[*] If necessary add standoffs from the old system board to the new one.[*] Place the enew system board in the case, slide it into position and secure it with the screws, re-connect all cables, re-install all expasion cards and replace the case cover and you have a new system board! [/list=1]

Chapter 6 - Replace the power supply

[list=1][*] Disconnect the power supply cables from the system board and all the other devices from inside the computer[*] If necessary, remove the front part of the computer case and unfasten the power switch.[*] Remove the screws that secure the power supply and slide the power supply out of the case[*] Slide in the new power supply and secure it with the screws[*] Reconnect all the cables.[/list=1]

Chapter 7 - Replace a Pentium CPU

[list=1][*] If necessary, disconnect the CPU fan's cable from the power supply.[*] If necessary, relase the slip securing the CPU fan to the system board and then lift the lever that secures the CPU in the socket.[*] Lift the CPU out of the socket[*] Align the beveled corner of the new CPU with the beveled corner on the coket then place the CPU in the socket.[*] Push the lever down to secure the CPU in the socket if necessary replace the CPU fan and re-connect the CPU fan.[/list=1]

Chapter 8 - Install/Replace RAM

Installing SIMMS memory
    [list=1][*] Disconnect any cables inside the computer that prevent access to the memory sockets.[*] Locate the empty socket closes to the back of the bank where you want to install the SIMM. Then locate the key on the side of the socket and the notch on the side of the memory module. To ensure you install the memory module-correctly, align the key with the notch.[*] Put the SIMM in the socket at a 45 degree angle.[*] Gently move the SIMM into an upright position untill the clips on the ends snap into place[*] Reconnect any cables you might've disconnected[/list=1]

Installing DIMM memory
    [list=1][*] Disconnect any cables inside the computer that prevent access to the memory sockets.[*] Push the clips on each end of the sockets down so you can place your new memory in[*] Locate the key on the side of the socket and the notch on the side of the memory module. Align the key with the notch to ensure it's installed properly.[*] Push down firmly and across the top of the memory module to insert it into the socket[*] The clips snap into place to secure the DIMM[*] Reconnect any cables you might've disconnected.[/list=1]

Chapter 9 - Replace an Expansion card
    [list=1][*] Disconnect any cables attached to the expasion card you are going to replace and remove the screws holding the expansion card into place[*] Grab the top corners of the expasion card and pull straight up out of the slot[*] Remove any cables connecting the card to the other components inside the computer[*] Use cables to attach other components to the new expansion card[*] Place the new expasion card in the slot and press down firmly evenly across the top of the card untill securly placed[*] Screw the screw back to secure the card[/list=1]

Chapter 10 - Install a video card
    [list=1][*] Select the expansion slot in which you would like to install the video card[*] Remove the expansion slot cover from the computer case. This cover is held on by a screw[*] If necessary, use cables to connect the video card to other devices[*] Place the video card in the expansion slot and press down firmly and evenly across the top of the card untill securly placed[*] Secure the video card with the screw you removed in step 1[/list=1]

Chapter 11 - Install a TV Tuner card
    [list=1][*] Select the expansion slot on the system board where you want to install the TV Tuner card[*] Remove the expansion slot cover from the case.[*] If necessary, use a cable to connect to the TV Tuner card to another device[*] Place the TV Tuner card into the expansion slot and press down firmly and evenly across the top of the card untill securely placed.[*] Secure the video card with the screw you removed in step 1[*] Connect the television cable to the TV tuner card[/list=1]

Chapter 12 - Install a Sound Card
    [list=1][*] Select the expansion slot on the system board where you want to install the Sound card.[*] Remove the expansion slot cover from the case[*] If necessary, use the jumpers or switches on the sound card to adjust the settings for the sound card.[*] Place the sound card into the expansion slot and press down firmly and evenly across the top of the card untill securely placed.[*] If necessary connect the audio cable to the sound card. Then connect the audio cable to the CD-ROM drive. This allows your computer's speakers to play sound from compact discs.[*] Secure the sound card with the screw you removed from step 1[/list=1]

Chapter 12 - Replacing a Hard Drive
    [list=1][*] Remove the screws that secure the hard drive.[*] Disconnect the power supply from the back of the hard drive[*] Disconnect the ribbion cable from the back of the hard drive. Then slide the drive out[*] If necessary, adjust the jumpers on the new hard drive. Then slide the new hard drive in.[*] Connect the power and ribbon cable back to the new hard drive[*] Replace the screws back in to secure the new hard drive.[/list=1]

Chapter 13 - Replacing a floppy drive
    [list=1][*] Remove the screws that secure the floppy drive[*] Disconnect the power supply from the floppy drive[*] Disconnect the ribbon cable and slide the floppy drive out[*] Slide the floppy drive in[*] Connect the power and ribbon cable back to the floppy drive[*] Replace the screws back in to secure the new floppy drive[/list=1]

Chapter 14 - Installing a tape drive
    [list=1][*] Using a slotted screwdriver remove the drive cover (a metal plate covering where the tape drive is going to go not the actual cover from the tape drive) from the front of the computer then slide the tape drive in[*] Conect a cable from the power supply to the tape drive[*] Using a ribbon cable, connect the tape drive to the computer[*] Secure the tape drive in with some small screws.[/list=1]

Chapter 15 - Installing a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
    [list=1][*] If necessary, adjust the jumpers on the back of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.[*] Remove the metal plate from where you will be installing the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive[*] Connect a cable from the power supply to the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.[*] Using a ribbon cable, connect the drive to the computer.[*] If necessary, connect the audio cable to the drive Then connect the audio cable to the sound card.[*] Using small screws, secure the drive in the slot.[/list=1]
    Conclusion

That was my tutorial I hope you all enjoyed and learned something from it thank you for your time.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Nice Tutorial! Pretty basic for anyone who's been around computer's for a while, but should be a good reference for those around here who don't know there way around in there...

One thing that does need to be done is you need to go more in depth on the jumpers on the back of hard drives and optical drives. Maybe give a link to a picture that shows which settings are for cable select, master, and slave. I didn't notice any other medium-large things that needed to be observed.

Magnet and grabber
    Not in my opinion, a magnet should not go near the insides of a computer...............too risky?

Just get different sized grabber/helping hands ot whatever you call them in your country? Stick some blu-tack or whatever on the end if needed

Flashlight............yeah, but one of those clip on reading/inspection lamps is more useful in my experience.............not too powerful mind you!...........easy to mount in a fixed position, and leaves both hands free.

Hey, I liked the bit about desktop cases I have had some real fun there

Cheers

Not in my opinion, a magnet should not go near the insides of a computer...............too risky?
    Actually, modern hard drives have some kind of protection from small magnets, because I have used home magnets to try and format an old 2 gig I had lying around and it did NOTHING. It should be ok as long as you don't like sit and rub the magnet all over the harddrive for 5 minutes... Also, if you are just building a computer, and haven't put the hard drive in, there's no reason not to. I still like you idea of just keeping magnets away from computers altogether though. Keeps "accidents" from happening.