Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dail up

Just a question here. If you had cable why did you go with net zero dial up?

Also the new firewall in SP2 for XP is suppose to be better and more configurable than the current one. I like Norton Internet security. It does the job and logs all "attacks."
    =

Originally posted here by jinxy
    On a dialup you are not as suseptible to attack as you are on broadband, so i would say that a good AV ap is more important.
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with that statement.
    I use NoCharge.com for dial up service....I and a friend with cable connection compared our fire wall logs and I had double the number of attacks he did.
    NoCharge is a free service that doesn't care who you are or what you do....consequently I think computers in their range of IP's are scanned more often because it's safer to scan them then somebody paying an ISP.

Isn't NetZero a similar service.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Faqt: Good to see you back.

You are exactly right. It's only anecdotal evidence but of all my users that come to me with worms on home computers the dial up users are by far the most predominant.

Like it or not, Win XP's firewall is better then no firewall, it's free.... people should probably use it. I'll be glad to see it turned on by default in SP2...... Now we just need to get the users to update to it......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Regal Making Handler
    Faqt and Tiger Shark,

You both put forward a good argument but in the casses of worm infection i have seen the common denominator has been an unpatched OS. At least the worms that use OS vulnerablities that is.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Jinxy....

Quite right too...... and it's really hard for those dial-up users to download those patches at 30-40kbps.... so they don't. Add to that the increased scanning and I believe the recipe for disaster is ready for the oven.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

30-40kbps??? LOL MY dial up never went above 5kb/s....the highest i've gone is 11 and it dropped back to 3-4kb/s VERY fast.

I've used AOL, netZero, a whole bunch of other ones...and they never went above 5kb/s.

I did use AOL and their DSL for free for about 7 months... but thats another story.

Cybr1d... I agree with 56k dial up, you are limited to 56,000 BPS downstream. This is due to the way the phone system works and FCC regulations. Because of the overhead in the analog to digital conversion, your upstream is going to be slower than your downstream. It is much faster to convert digital to analog for download. More "sampling" is required in the analog to digital conversion than the digital to analog conversion.

I have a great book at home that explains it very well. I would explain it now.. but I seem to have lost the exact explanation. I don't want to misinform you.

The reason people can offer "broadband dial up" like netzero does... is because they use a compression technique. It is still limited to 56,000 BPS downstream... but because they compress it on the sending side and your client uncompresses it... it "seems" much faster than normal dial up. You can look at the images and see that the quality is worse than if it was not compressed. You can right click on those images and reload them so they aren't compressed if you want to get a better pic. However, because most of the time, you don't care too much about the pictures or ads they are the first to be compressed.

But back to original topic.

I recommend that you do use a firewall with dial up. Just because you're not on 24/7 doens't mean that you can't be compromised in the hour that you are on to surf and check mail or whatever. I've seen it over and over.

Most crackers seem to go after boxes that are on 24/7 though (broadband and the like). They have faster connections and the resources are there all the time. Viruses/worms don't care either way.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well i thanks every one for yaw help.I will disable my xp firewall and git spygate.Has cable internet the cost 38.00 a month.So i got cable tv down.Which both it would be 93.00 a month.And netzero 9.50 a month and know limit online.But i will hook my cable internet for downloading anything big.You just can't they online about 20 minute for you git cut off.