Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telnet Server

Telnet Server

I was playing around with the idea of putting a telnet server on a junk computer on my network. I would use to port forwarding of my router to forward port 23 to it. I've heard of netcat and would probably use it with it inside my network until I had it down pretty well. I would only give an account to me, and 1 or 2 friends. Does anyone have advice on if this would work or not, and if it's practical?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    It would work, it's "practical" but it is kind of a big hole. Port 23 is a no-no.... At least put it on a really odd port like 2391 so you can be happy with your "security by obscurity".

I would look for VPN options available for free for your OS. Much more secure and nothing crosses the network in clear.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Do you know of any options available for Win XP that could be more secure, any SSH servers I could use on it, or options I would want to enable on my router?

I'll start by saying that if this is XP home on the server side I may be talking rubbish.... I don't use it, but remote desktop protocol is enabled in XP Home IIRC. If it all works the same you can place an encrypted connection between two PC's. Only one PC at a time though and if the current user is online you have to quit or kick him off. This will allow you to use windows authentication and run as a desktop which is more secure than the telnet you are suggesting.

If that doesn't work try looking at this thread

That might work for you.
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

don't do it not only will having 23 open to the outside be obvious to an attacker netcat has no authentication

The problem with a vpn is that I want to be able to connect from any computer; whether it be at school or a friend's house or whatever. With a vpn, I would be connecting with one computer specifically. Please correct me if I am wrong, because I so often am.

That depends upon what your school lets out of it's network....

Waht do you need to use this connection for.... that would help us get to the best solution....

I could run programs off my computer without have to install them on the computer I was on, and I think it would be a fun thing just to mess around with.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Might those be programs that the school administrator won't let you run from the school computers?

Nope, if I wanted to I could install any programs I wanted, seeing our school network has no security whatsoever. Literally. There's even a username that everyone has access to and has admin clearance. I just don't want to have to install a program every time I want to use it.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.