6 23.08%
  • No

16 61.54%
  • Plan To

4 15.38%

Thread: Creation Of Log Files

Question Creation Of Log Files

hello room,
    As Said in my introduction iam very much new to networking and computer security fundamentals.My Question might be very silly but pls help me out

My Query is :--
    In my organization a log file is created whenever any user browse the net with the IP of his machine .
    I want to know how thse log files are created and can anybody mask his IP address and fool these people(networking people) i hope u cant fool the network engineer,and how do you reada particular log file

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Very broad question. The creation of the log file depends on the OS and what is used to create the log file. Some log files are created from the firewall, some created by the OS itself, some by the routers. As for fooling the "networking people", not unless you find every potential trace/location. (which I don't recommend because it could be a reason to find a new job for the person that does try this).

Some logs are done in plain text while others require a special reader. It all depends on what is creating the log.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi rama~

I may appear stupid here, but I do not see the relevance of your poll options to your question............have you got two posts mixed up?

Cheers

Let me see if I understand the question correctly. You are presumably on a company network. So, for the sake of argument, suppose their are twenty workstations all networked together, each having their own IP? And lets say that the boxes are assigned 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.120..all of a sudden, an IP shows up inside the network 126.xxx.xxx.xxx (for example)? Exactly how long do you think it would take, by process of elimination, to figure out it was you?

Probably a weak example..still on that first cup of coffee

it also seems to me that if you don't own those computers, or the network that it is attached to then don't do it.... what you are talking about could mean the loss of a job...

also those logs are put into place because employers want ot know if there employees are useing then network like they are supposed to....

however its up to you.... its your job!!!!!!