Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 2003 Small Buiness Server

IF exchange mail is internal only you can probably do without a av watching the exchange mail, that wont be the inpoint for viri...I would still want some sort of antivirus on the server though...as horse mentioned check with the av vendor, the least you will have todo is make sure the AV is not scanning mail on that box and not scanning the exchange store directories.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

It should be all good, AV on the server is an extra step. Risk is low, all incoming files will be scanned via and on-access scanner on the clients. Here is the hitch though, this only workd if you NEVER access the internet from the server. If you are the admin goes browsing around donloading files and tools or checking websites and using google, then I would consider and extra cost of Server based AV. That's not cheap though. I would leave the Exchange scanner out. No real reason to go down that route and Server based AV can be optional.

Now on the side, you might sell them some more product by combining the web mail access with Outlook, you can use it to connect to exchange and an enternal smtp gate, assuming the web service offers it. Most do. That's a whole different road though, you then seperate internal mail boxes and external mail boxes in outlook, so theycan check both with a single client instead of switching all the time and saving files and stuff. All internal mail would stay internal and be stored in the main exhange contacts and public/private stores and external mail could be stored on the server, where it is backed up. It just drops external mail via smtp right into outlook and the private store. The security risk is still on the external mail server but you get some added functionality. The only drawback is two address books, internal/external but it's better than two sperate clients. Sorry that's off topic, just thinking outloud.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

RoadClosed: Yeah, I was thinking about pulling it into their outlook client... but they liked the web interface better. Maybe they'll change their minds.

I'm using NAV on the clients and didn't plan on putting AV on the server...
    They don't want to shell out the $$.

I thought about just scheduling scans of the network drives and excluding the exchange stores. I'll run a couple of these things by them and see if they change their minds.

I just want to do it right the first time, so I don't have to worry about too much.

I'm going to keep an eye on it periodically... but via VPN.

Thank for everyones advice!

AOs Resident Troll

FYI

Found some more info on securing 2003 Server while I was looking for something else

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...y/default.mspx

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Nsa, has guides to secure servers to their specs, and they say on their website that for windows 2003 that http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en mircosofts security guide follows close enough to their security standards...
    I toor\'d YOU!