Thread: I have a serious hotmail problem

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

I have a serious hotmail problem

the attachment to your E-mail has been disabled by the SonicWALL Virus Filter. See your network administrator for details. i get this message when i try to open an email quiz from my prof. so, i emailed him and told him i didnt get the quiz... well he emailed me back, something that was 47kb but i cant read it! i open it and its a balnk white screen.... so i cant get the quiz and i cant read his emails.! its due tomorrow...please help! i run XP Pro with no firewall...
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

This is hotmail.com? They don't use sonicwall antivirus. ASk your prof to check his/her settings. There has to be someone running tha AV prog to get that message.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Regal Making Handler
    Turn sonic wall off then. You must have it running.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi Tex,

sonicWall is a firewall and sort of AV security system for networks so I would guess that it is the college mailserver that doesn't like what he sent you. It got deleted when he sent it out...........if he had it on his machine he would have gotten a warning so I guess it must be the college?

What is the filetype/extension of the 47Kb attachment that he sent. Sounds as if you don't have the software, or the file association is not set up on your box? EDIT: ask your Prof to make a copy and rename/save it as a .txt file, that should get through, and also let you look at it to see if it has been infected

Cheers

EDIT: I don't think so jinxy, I have seen that sort of message loads of times at work. It is the mailserver, and the admins have set a filter to block certain extensions...........as it is a e-mail quiz, it could be something as simple as a macro script to let you tick the boxes or whatever?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    yes, i think he is running Sonic because i know that i am not..... it is a txt file but, i still cant open it! m prof is in NY at a conference so im thinking that the laptop they issued him or where he is connecting from is causing problems.... i hope he believes me when i tell him that i am having problems.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Ask your professor to change the .zip extension to .zix. When you get the file download it to your computer and change the extension back to .zip.

This does not work in every case, but it is a work around on several firewalls

Regal Making Handler
    Are you at college University??
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

uno_digerati a good fw setup only allows certain binary streams something unknown would be rejected. anyway he never metioned anything about zip. maybe if he ziped it you would get it.

when i hear porfessor i think postscript. try installing ghost script and see if that gets it
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”