Thread: Intranet email security risk

Intranet email security risk

I've got a security-compromising situation to throw at you guys.

We use FileMaker Pro 6.0 for just about everything done on our LAN, including internal office e-mail. FM was configured by our company's president, who doubled as the IT guy until I was finally brought on board.

However, I've discovered what I think is a significant security risk. At times, fairly often actually, FM will quote the wrong email during a reply. For instance, I replied to an email sent to me from an employee, but instead of quoting the message I was replying to, it instead quoted an email I had received from the CEO! As you can imagine, that could potentially open up a Pandora's Box of info sec nightmares. So evidently, there's a glitch of some sort in how it's configured, I presume.

I presented this to managment, and unfortunately, they don't agree it's of any concern. *sigh* So, for now it looks like I'm on my own with this.

Any suggestions on where I could start looking or what to start doing to find out what's causing this quoting-of-the-wrong-emails problem?

Do the company have any forums of FAQ's. I'm sure if this problem has came up previously they have prepared a patch for it or something. I would start w/ the company first.

Regal Making Handler
    Are you using the mail it plugin?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Correct, we are using the plugin. I haven't checked out the software producer's website yet, so I'll do that next. I had assumed it was surely a configuration problem on our side.

Regal Making Handler
    http://www.dacons.net/support/index.html

Heres there support page, had a quick look, not much help there. The only thing i can suggest is you check which version you are using and see if there is an upgrade.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Actually, I have to correct myself -- We're using SMTPit, not mail.it.

/edit -- I just zinged an e-mail off to their tech support.

I just heard back from tech support, and didn't get any help. Evidently SMTPit doesn't incorporate quoting replied to e-mails, so this feature must've been something our guy added to it.