Thread: Fight Spam.ru?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Fight Spam.ru?

I just saw this link on Full Disclosure: http://fightspam.nm.ru/ . Now, I haven't figured out if it's actually taking stuff from spammers or adding to them but if it is taking from them, then.. pretty nifty.

Anyone else seen this before or in another format? (different site?)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I've let it run on my system, and I've mailed the link to my band of nutters.

Hopefully it IS anti-spam, hopefully it DOES bring some down.

?? where do WE stand if this is construed as a DDOS ????
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm... That's an interesting question given that the site is located in Russia I doubt that they'd 1) give out the addresses of those visiting it 2) would be liable for any action 3) the spammers really wouldn't necessarily complain since they are doing "questionable" activities.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    WARNING

From their FAQ's

Q: WTF you're trying to get the "JPEG exploit" loaded on my system!! A: uh.. No.. The images are hosted on the spam servers.. Images are hand picked.. There's no intention of trying to exploit people though this site..
    No, I'm sure the author has no intent to exploit people. But if the spammer/scammer realizes whats going on it would be trivial for him to replace the "selected" .jpg with a malformed one and sit back and laugh at the idiot's trying to DoS him as he moves on to another site.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Well it sounds a bit fishy to me... Plus I'm sure there are ways to steal that badwidth that would not require me using up mine in the process. Actual DoS attacks would be much more likely to succeed in wasting bandwidth... could think up something...

Anyway wouldn't the site generate revenue because it's accessing material on the 'spam' site using a referrer? Sounds like a great idea to make money by getting people that hate spam to indirectly support it.

Just a thought.
    /\\

tiger: you bring up a very good point. but then again people who are actively trying to fight spam will also probably be up on patching their systems. If not... their fault.

I know of a couple of sites that do this to fight the 409 scammers. But they make it way more fun... the pictures fly all over the screen and its quite interesting. I can't find the link right now.. but I know I've posted it in one of those 409 scammer threads.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

As I said when i saw this on another board:

Wouldn't the http://fightspam.nm.ru/ site be DOS'd before any of the sites you are pulling pictures from if enough people visit the site? I mean that is the point right? If enough people pull the pics fast enough, they will not have access to said site.... but if enough people go to http://fightspam.nm.ru/ wont that pull http://fightspam.nm.ru/ offline as well? You have 1 site accessing 10, i think the 1 will go down before the 10...
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Cross: No... You computer loads one page from fightspam. That page makes your computer request the images from the spammers sites. Thus fightspam provides a single page to you and their transcation is over. You computer then makes hundreds of requests from the spammers sites.... When enough individual computers do this then the bandwidth gets eaten very quickly.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Am I the only one getting a 403 on that page now? It worked yesterday and I had it loaded for quite some time... but now I can't get to it.

TS: In regards to your concern about the .jpeg vulnerability... someone could create a script using wget to download the images to your PC, delete the pictures to save space, loop.

thats pretty easy and you'd never open the files or take up too much space or resouces. that can be done either using a .bat or perl script... and even converted to a .exe and run as a service if you wanted to... Kind of overkill... I know.

BTW: What is stopping the spammers from denying the refer from that site that pulls all the images? I didn't examine the requests being sent when I had access.. so I'm not sure if it really does refer the .ru site... but you'd *think* it would.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    BTW: What is stopping the spammers from denying the refer from that site that pulls all the images? I didn't examine the requests being sent when I had access.. so I'm not sure if it really does refer the .ru site... but you'd *think* it would.
    As said, maybe they're getting money because the script could possibly make sure then when your computer requests the image, the fightspam website has a refferal in place. Thus they have a LOT of credits for getting people to various websites... while said people think they're helping bring down spam.
    /\\