Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux noob

Linux noob

I'm planning to run SuSe Linux on an old computer I have. Can anyone recommend a good book about Linux to get? I don't have any previous experience w/ Linux. Also, does anyone know of free computer security programs for linux that are a must-have? Thanks for any help.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

There was this book called "Linux SuSe for the Window's User" (as part of a series) that I saw at my local library one time. As for free information online, http://www.suse.com/de/security/general/index.html has some background information as well as security news and updates for SuSe.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hey Jareds411,

For Linux books, try Linux Book Reviews

As for Linux security tools...

Nessus
    Ethereal
    Snort
    Netcat

...are just a few of the many tools for Linux. Probably your distro will come with some tools.

Also Knoppix-STD is a really cool bootable distro with lots of security tools.

Also, always remember that Google is your friend.

Have fun!

Later,

mjk

Ahh yes, always use google for searching for information and the like. I personally would second the netcat and snort download as they are very useful for any linux user.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Ok, I'll check out all that. Also, does anyone know if best buy carries linux compatable wireless networking adapters?
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

If you get the SuSE box set of 9.1 you get 2 double sided DVD's 5 CD's, 2 books and a sticker.

The books are comprehensive and geared towards both beginners and the more advanced users.

It's a damn good value.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Wireless Networking doesn't have much to do with the OS. And yes, they do.. that's where I got my wireless networking gear!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Re: Linux noob

Originally posted here by Jareds411
    I'm planning to run SuSe Linux on an old computer I have. Can anyone recommend a good book about Linux to get? I don't have any previous experience w/ Linux. Also, does anyone know of free computer security programs for linux that are a must-have? Thanks for any help.

Sams' Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours
    I have yet to see a SAM's book I have not liked yet......
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...33438?v=glance
    SuSE not too bad, it has alot of packages & is user friendly. Now, gore mentioned the libranet distro in a tutorial and I have been running it ever since prolly for almost a year now. Who else do you know that would take the time to write a detailed tutorial on such a oddball distro?

Back to the subject, for books I would recommend Sam's as an appetizer & for the full course O'reilly's Practical Unix & Internet Security, 3rd Edition ..... It talks about how unix was never designed to military standards and how unsecure it can be and how you can try to make it secure. A very good read!!!!!

If you're planning on accessing the internet with this box I suggest you secure the OS right after you install. Try this article on securing Linux. Also check out Linux Security HOWTO

mjk