Thread: System Mem

System Mem

I have an old Dell I bought in 2001, and I have just started having some weird problems. When I boot up the system it states system memory has decreased some hex values press F1 to continue F2 to go to set up. In setup my 1024 MBs of RAM shows as 964 (or something similar) and the other problem is I can load any version of linux or Win2K without issues, but WinXP will not load (even fresh) without blue screening.

Hmmmmm

Try running updated AV, SpyBot S&D (new 1.3 version out...........so get it or it won't update) and AdAware..............all updated and in safe mode.

Then boot into setup and check what your video settings are? It sounds like you might have memory sharing with your video..........otherwise it sounds like one of your RAM strips is on the way out...............if you run your machine with the case off you might feel it...........I guess it will be pretty hot (ground yourself first!)

Just a few thoughts

I believe this issue started when I hooked up a KVM switch I bought, so it may be a Video Issue. However, I really do need access to the KVM switch. I will double check this and then find out if there is a way I can resolve this isssue.

Same Problem, and I am not using the KVM. I scanned and reinstalled everything. Now, when I tried to run the SP my system blue screen and rebooted. About to try again.

You might try removing the memory strips and installing them on at a time to see if one is registering as 512Mb and the other not, or do both of them show up as less than 512Mb when inserted on their own?

Are you sharing memory with the video chipset?

Have you got onboard AND a video card installed?

Here is what I did:

Step 1: Disconnected the KVM switch
    Step 2: Disconnected secondary hard drive
    Step 3: Booted to floppy and wiped current drive (BCWipePD)
    Step 4: Fdisked (2) formats
    Step 5: Booted *noticed same error*
    Step 6: Installed WinXP
    Step 7: Crashed during install
    Step 8: restarted and continued
    Step 9: Crashed & Restarted
    Step 10: Installed SP1 (crashed twice on third it completed)

However, if I install another OS I don't have this problem. I was thinking maybe my RAMs going and maybe my Hard Drive is going. I am going to try Me tonight (only because it came with the system and I already tried 2K) and see if I have the same issues. By the way the XP I am trying I got through Dell as part of the upgrade pack.

I have a GeForce 3 64MB AGP card, no onboard video card and the RAM is 4x 256.

OK,

I have had quite a few issues with XP and video cards/chips. Please make sure you have the latest XP driver for your one.

The memory sounds strange, I would try installing it one stick at a time and see if one of them doesn't increment by 256Mb.

I don't know Dell on this one, but AFAIK an OEM or boxed upgrade is actually the full installation.....it just checks that you have a previous version?

I am not sure about the HDD, I would have expected you to get an error message, and to have problems with other OSes?

Good luck

CT2600 -
    Other than hooking up the KVM switch, did you change/add/delete anything else on your system hardware or software - wise? As nihil suggested, I would try reinstalling your RAM one stick at a time . . . taking note of any discrepancies during bootup. Have you checked for driver updates for your AGP card and/or possible conflicts when using a KVM switch??

What does the inside of your system look like? Have you cleaned it lately? Sometimes excess dust can create more problems than you'd think.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.