Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linux noob

ok, i actually just got started with linux myself. I have a laptop that was just begging to be played around with. So i got my sister to burn a copy of RH9 for me (i was offline at the time). Couldn't for the life of me get that thing to work. Until i hit the library (yay for free i-net) and looked around online for some help. So i printed a bunch of laptop-specific info and went to work. I got it to install... then i said "ok, now what?" i was staring at a command line with no idea what to do.

After another trip to the library I came home with one book: "Running Linux" distributed by o'reilly. That book was the single most helpful tool i had (with the man pages of course). It doesn't really go into security aside from "don't use root" and "give root a complex password" but for me it was a great stepping stone (having had no *nix experience earlier).

Also, i might have just missed reading this, but did anyone suggest the linux documentation project? http://www.tldp.org/ lots of great howtos and other stuff.

doesn't it feel good to be one step closer to being free from microsoft?
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

I personally learned a lot on Slack... I had an easy install regardless of the newb factor, unlike everyone else says about it being hard. But yes... bootables rock. Damn Small linux is great, not overwhelming at all, then knoppix for KDE and software, then go for the installation. Besides, it's good to be familiar with a bootable in the case of data recovery and whatnot.

edit

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Has anyone messed around with this? I feel like doin some messin this weekend...
    Opinions, suggestions would rock.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    I personally have to say, that for my everday use, SuSE is the distro of my choice. It is VERY user friendly, and its EXCELLENT for begginers. SuSE is a wonderful distro. Ive heard many negative things about redhat, like the support on their site is said to be crap. SuSE has terrific hardware support, its very well documented, and has an excellent support from its site and the entire SuSE community. I have tried mandrake for 3 days, before tossing the cds out the window. The security tools that come along with the distro are awesome too. I recently started using the SuSEYOU tool, to keep everything patched and upto date. It works real good.

Another issue is (its only my own personal opinion) i trust SuSE alot more than many other distros. I myself use other distros too, depending on what i need todo (devil-linux for a firewall, SuSE for everday stuff, knoppix std for security testing, but if i were to run an 'uptime' my suse box is used alot more than the others.

I will admitt that compared to other linux distros, suse uses alot of its own paths... making it a lil more hassle to setup certain applications.. but thats not getting in my way from using it.

My advice is to give suse a fair try, until you are a bit more familiar with linux in general, then go for a system which is a bit more dry, something along the lines of gentoo, slackware, maybe even a BSD variant.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

How do I make sure that my graphics card/Ethernet card will work on linux?
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Originally posted here by Jareds411
    How do I make sure that my graphics card/Ethernet card will work on linux?
    If you use SUSE then you can search their hardware database here: http://cdb.suse.de/?LANG=en_UK

But if you do a search on google http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...rdware+support You can find out for the rest of the major distros.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I have had great success with Netgear pcmcia cards.

They work great with a default install of Knoppix-STD

SGS

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, you can go to:

http://www.nvidia.com

And download the drivers for the cards there, or when you update with YAST2, it will grab them. I wouldn't be to worried about it not finding hardware, it does it very well.

And who the hell was that guy doubting his use of SuSE ? Asking why he chose it and paid for it, ugh, *Slap*.