Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XP Logon

I've browsed thru my XP Pro bestseller edition from Que books by R Cowart & B Knittel:
    If you have no way of recovering the password, things are pretty grim, but you do have some alternatives. If you need to retrieve some files, you can remove the hard drive and install it in another Windows XP or 2000 computer as a secondary drive. Boot it up, log on as Administrator, and browse into the drive.

The best way of preventing these disasters is to create a password recovery disk and then store it in a safe place. The recovery disk will work, even after you have changed the password from previous passwords, so there is no need to make a new one everytime you change the password.

"Locksmith" from Sysinternals.com and Winternals.com are able to replace passwords as well.
    Once again you'd have to target the drive from another box. But there are no guarantees.

Hope that helps

"it won't take my password which I usually just hit cancel and log on."

hes not looking for a way to reset his password or telling us he forgot it. he wants to bypass the the logon completely...'like he did before'
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I am a teacher and while I was out, someone set up a password on xp pro where there was none before.
    And I hope that has taught you a lesson in security old chap

set up a password on xp pro where there was none before. The computer dude says it was probably a student, who we all know are smarter than any nerd
    Why is it my "lying frigger detector" is registering full scale deflection? Could it be that you have to set up an admin password to load XP? and with that password, you can change any other password..................."computer dude"..............didn't he set up an admin pass?..create a recovery disk?

Hot damn! people that stupid do not deserve paid employment? and anything that "the teacher" lost will be a benefit to society?

Sorry folks, I have lost patience with this one

EDIT: In case any of you missed it:

I tried to reinstall xp but it asks me for xp pro service pack 1. I got my hands on that but have not tried using it because I'm sure its going to ask for the password before I reinstall.
    So what is the "computer dude" there for?........to fetch coffee & donuts? Also, doesn't the lying little toad know about "format disk?"

I don't blame ya....how many teachers do you know that use the word "the computer dude" to refer to their IT department? Dealing with school kids is their main priority....so setting up secure computers is a must for any school IT department. I'm sure if this "teacher" would ask the tech dep. for help...he wouldn't even be here. Also, the words that came out of his mouth are not even close to something a teacher would say.

What a joke, waste of bandwidth and space....

I hate doing this but....the best way for people like you to bypass the admin password is to take 2 paperclips, unplug the monitor,straighten the paperclips and insert them into the power outlet. It will reset the computer.

Hi Tedob1,

I'm referencing the last "pm" that Cybr1d posted:

The actual situation was, I am a teacher and while I was out, someone set up a password on xp pro where there was none before.
    I assume that whoever added the password did so with admin rights, provided the teacher was logged on as Admin, leaving the box unattended, and later returning to discover that he/she's been locked out by virtue of the password. The initial post that started the thread sets up a different scenario, which is merely a configuration issue, hence the content of subsequent replies and possibly the trigger of the first "pm", clearly flavoured with the thread-starters frustration.

If I have mis-interpreted the thread, I stand corrected...

I stand corrected...

If I am totally paranoid, please tell me:

I tried to reinstall xp but it asks me for xp pro service pack 1. I got my hands on that but have not tried using it because I'm sure its going to ask for the password before I reinstall.
    I wish I had his copy of XP.......it must be clairvoyant............it knows of the future, and the release of SP1?....OR IT WOULD HAVE HAD SP1 WITH IT????????????????????????and then our "teacher" would not have had to "got my hands on it" would he now?

And if you were the "IT dude" in a school or college, what would you do if one of your customers (a member of the academic staff) came to you with this problem............tell THEM to re-install XP?

All I can say is that if you want to balance your ap's, this is a very deserving case IMO.

EDIT: Cyber1d, have you heard of an organisation called the ASPCPC?.............the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Paper Clips...........I am given to understand that it is funded by the sales of Microsoft Office?

As I have said in the first post in this thread:

Originally posted here by moxnix

The reason is that I don't know you. This was your first post and you are asking me (or anyone) to help you crack a computer I have no way of knowing that belongs to you.

AO is primarily a security site. We help people secure their computers against crackers and not help crackers to get into them. Now I am not saying that you are such a person. I don't know. And, there is no way you can convince me -- on the internet-- that you are the owner and have the right to bypass the login of that machine.
    A simplistic social engineering ply, that shows more of its true colors in his subsequent posts and PM's.

He was given at least 2 different methods of by passing his login problem in this thread, but they are not what he wanted, or he can't use them, because he doesn't own the computer.

If his 'computer dude'(cute teacher language) doesn't have a clue and says to reformat, than I sure wouldn't hire him to have anything to do with any computer I controlled.

And any teacher that leaves important files on a nonsecure computer shouldn't be teaching either, and some one should notify the superintendent of his school district.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

"I wish I had his copy of XP.......it must be clairvoyant............it knows of the future, and the release of SP1?....OR IT WOULD HAVE HAD SP1 WITH IT????????????????????????and then our "teacher" would not have had to "got my hands on it" would he now?"

ROFLMAO you are a trip. i so totally missed that nihil
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Whoa I gotta put in my two cents worth, if ANYBODY aked me what this guy did and told me the "computer dude" said to reload I would politly but firmly show the person (child) to the door

what IT pro ++ he should be if he works at a school, I know I was a student with bad manners++ would tell an instuctor to reload, **** he would confiscate the box and start the research on who actualy owns the box and what back doors, trojans, viri, whatever are there.

fess up youngster you are busted
    tired of being called an ass

The kid's like 15 give him a break...sux for him that us "nerds" are smarter than him. He put 1965 As his birth year...for a 39 years old, going over the hill, he sure sounds like a 15 year old who's DYING to get into his teacher's computer and with hopes to change his grades....It is the end of the spring semester is it not?

Listen kid...next time you plan to do something stupid, send me a PM ....chances are i've already done it before you. Its one thing to try to social engineer, and its another thing to try to social engineer professionals at the field and take us for idiots.

I've social engineed myself into getting laid kid...don't even try that **** on me. I think its past your bed time. He put "mamma's Boy" as his occupation...how lame. If you had put "Elementary School Teacher"...perhaps we would have given you the benefit of a doubt....Nah, not even that.