Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ----HELP---- with Video Card

Exactly what I was thinking, Vic (if I may). Just so anyone that maybe knows about the subject may point out the big deal, here's a list of the IRQ assignments on this PC:
    IRQ 0 System timer
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller
    IRQ 3 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    IRQ 3 S3 Graphics Inc. ProSavage
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1)
    IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    IRQ 7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock
    IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    IRQ 10 HSP56 WDM DEVICE
    IRQ 10 SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    IRQ 11 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 11 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor
    IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IRQ 15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

You may notice IRQ 5 is missing. That one was used by the LAN card, which I removed cuz A) I don't need it for this PC and B) I wanted to try to put in the Card in that slot. Even though I tried, it didn't work. But later, when I went back to turn the pc on, no signal either on normal (without the card). Alas, I had knocked a memory block (stick, RAM, whatever you call it) out of it's socket. i reseated it and the PC was fine. I still have yet to try to install the Card in that slot (haven't had the time), but I have hope that it works.
    Also, I don't know what PCI steering is, can anyone tell, please?
    If anyone finds anything peculiar with the IRQs and can propose some plan of action, let me know.
    Thanks

P.S.:
    I am running windows ME (can't remember if I mentioned that)
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    If you like pina coladas....ugh!, gettin\' caught in the rain....ugh!\"
    -Sarge

You mentioned you have uninstalled you onboard graphics? How did you do this?
    You should haqve gone into you BIOS and disabled it, is this what you have done?

A good way of freeing IRQ's up is to go into your BIOS and (if you dont use them) disable your serial ports, parralel port, onboard modem(if you have a PCI one), onboard sound(if you have a sound card).

One of the first things I usually do is disable my serial ports as not many things use them now-a-days.

You say your new graphics card is a PCI one, are you sure it is not an AGP one, im not sure if an AGP graphics card will fit into a PCI slot, as I have never tried it but my guess would be that a G-Force 2 would be an AGP card, if it is and you are putting it into a PCI slot it will certainly not work and would give you the result that you are getting now!

Not to be rude Nokia, but if he fit it in a PCI slot without breaking anything then it's PCI, AGP wouldn't fit. There are G-Force 2 PCI cards and I went through a similar situation with my computer. Unfortunately so far as I could tell mine was just too old for it. I agree that, if he hasn't already, he should disable the onboard card in the bios, and make sure the the PCI card is enabled.

im not sure if an AGP graphics card will fit into a PCI slot, as I have never tried it

Senior since the 3 dot era
    The steering thing stands for
    "Peripheral Component Interconnect bus interrupt request steering"

Nokia -> there sure (did) exist PCI geforce cards.

Notice the ACPI, this could also be part of your problem:
    The PCI IRQ steering gives operating systems like Win95, Win98, Win Me, the flexibility to assign IRQ's and enable IRQ sharing. Like I said before there are in common 4 PCI interrupts.
    With the PCI IRQ steering OS's can dynamicly assign intrerrupt requests to devices.
    Basicly a PCI bus system can either set the IRQ in ISA mode, this way they cannot be shared or in a sort of plug and play PCI mode. Several devices can share a PCI IRQ. The other options are Both and Auto.

Also check your mobo for the: "assign IRQ to VGA" and enable this !

IRQ 3 S3 Graphics Inc. ProSavage seems to be your onboard video? correct?
    This info comes from the BIOS? If so the BIOS probably lists all your IRQ's from 0 to 15?

Probably you have an option for every IRQ to choose from, either:
    PCI -Only PCI devices can use the shown IRQ
    Legacy - Only 16bit ISA cards can use the IRQ
    Both - Both an ISA or a PCI device can use that IRQ
    Auto - the BIOS will decide on the IRQ allocation.

You need to figure out the IRQ your Geforce uses, for instance if it's on IRQ 11, then IRQ 11 has to be set to either 'Both', 'Auto' or 'PCI'. If you want to make the graphical card use a different IRQ you should set IRQ 11 to 'Legacy' or 'ISA only'. The BIOS should allocate a different IRQ to the device after saving your changes and rebooting the system.

All Nvidia based graphical cards (like the Geforce) do need an assigned IRQ, they will lock up your box if not. (like you experienced). So the "assign IRQ to VGA setting" is very important and also freeing up one IRQ and assign it to your VGA card is needed.

If you know what device conflicts with the graphical card, you can set that IRQ to 'Legacy' therefor making it impossible for your graphic card to share an IRQ and therefor conflict with that device, offcourse this method is only possible if there's another IRQ available for your graphical card (or another shared IRQ, freeing up IRQ's).

When you make your change there must be an available IRQ to move to, in your case IRQ 5 could be an option, allthough I would keep this one for the network card.
    If you cannot find an IRQ to free up, try disabling COM ports or USB controllers like others have stated, offcourse only if you do not use devices attached to these ports.

I hope this post makes sense to you, it seems a little bit confusing...

Links for more info on PCI IRQ steering:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;182604

to disable PCI IRQ steering in windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=182628

This guide can help you in resolving your hardware conflict:
    http://www.techrescue.net/guides/conflicts.asp

I know there are PCI g-force cards what i was saying is that a G-force 2 is more than likley going to be an AGP card.

Yep, I know Nokia, only playing

I had to add to my other post:

Perhaps a way to get your box to work with the card, follow these steps:

boot your box with the working onboard video into BIOS
    Disable all onboard devices including your video
    Set IRQ assign to AUTO or BIOS
    Save your BIOS changes,
    reboot and immediatly power down your box.
    Now, add your PCI VGA card (carefull don't burn yourself with hot parts, don't damage other seated stuff and make sure you grounded yourself before touching electrostatical sensitive devices (in fact all computer parts are).
    Boot up
    go into BIOS, now normally your VGA card has an IRQ assigned, set this fixed.
    Now you can again enable onboard devices,
    save BIOS
    reboot
    the BIOS will assign the other available IRQ's to your other devices.

Ooops another thing that can be the cause of your VGA problems:

talking about PCI and AGP. Your onboard VGA is this PCI or AGP based?
    This is important regarding installing a PCI VGA card. since this can give priority problems, causing no visible screen.

When you have onboard video and an AGP slot your onboard video is normally AGP equivalent. If you don't have an AGP slot it's possible to be either PCI VGA or AGP (accelerated graphics port) VGA.
    On the first one (PCI based onboard) there's no problem, the motherboard will see your add-on PCI VGA card as the first display card.
    But, if you have an AGP based onboard video and you add a PCI video card you will need to set up the display priority. According to BIOS type this can be a different video setting, it can be found at the 'Integrated Peripherals' section or at 'Initialize Display', at that option you need to choose 'PCI' or 'PCI slot'.

Some older motherboards from Compaq and also other manufacturers do that specific setting by jumpers. I remember your mobo was Compaq, so it's possible that you need to change the jumper that decides wich display bus to init first. You need to set this jumper to PCI if you have a PCI card. To locate the jumper, read your motherboard manual. If you cannot find it, contact tech support or give the type number for your mobo perhaps people here at AO can help you.

MR CD:\ was the above post helpfull? I hope you got the videocard conflict solved

please helppp me i mest up i installed a ati driver in my nvidia gforce pleace help mmeeeee

thanks hhhee
    fear of fleshn comes from the blood[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][glowpurple]