Thread: Modem tweaking?

Modem tweaking?

Can you tweak a 56k(or any other modem) so that it speeds up your connection to a bit higher?

heh.. ehm.. no, not realy !

and if you could the receiving modem (the one you are dialing into) won't be able to do anything with it..

If you were planning on doing it.. you should tweak both sending and receiving modems, then you might stand a chance ( small chance that is !! )
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

i dont know if this is tweaking and what it does
    my computer right click>property>hardware>device manager>modem click plus>select modem>doubleclik it.>modem>maximum port speed.
    selext maximum port speed 57000 or higher.
    see if any difference
    good luck
    sry this is for xp pro if you have it
    or google modem tweaking
    http://www.google.com/search?q=modem...utf-8&oe=utf-8

The answer is "no"................if your modem is set up correctly, that is what it will do..........the limitation is going to be your ISP/telco, not your equipment.

hmm ok..I met this guy on IRC who claimed he could do it..not that I believed him lol..but I thought it'd have interesting possibilities if it were possible...thanks for the input guys

Not to be a pain but . . . depending on the modem make/model, I HAVE been able to tweak the modem files along with OS files for faster connection speeds. Check out www.techspot.com/guides.shtml for your particular OS in the Tweaking your Modem guide by Thomas McGuire. There are other tweaks under specific OS's which are also helpful. As for the modem itself - without knowing the make/model I can only say surf on over to www.modemhelp.org and www.modemsite.com/56k for helpful information.

Obviously, there is only so much you can do (you're NEVER going to be able to compete with cable or DSL) but I believe it is possible to get the maximum from your modem and force your receiving modem to connect you at their max speed as well. Just my 2 cents worth.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

11. Increase Modem Speed
    I have seen literally hundreds of tips to increase your modem speed and I must say the majority of them do not make any difference whatsever. The best way to increase your modem speed is to buy a decent modem e.g. US Robotics V90 and have the latest drivers for it installed on your computer. Also make sure that you have no noise on your line - if you have get it sorted. You could also ask your telephone provider to increase the gain on your line.

The next thing you want to do is to increase the speed of your ports - goto controlpanels\system\device manager\ports, click on com1 and goto port settings - change the bits per second from 9600 (default) to 921600. Also change the flow control from Xon /Xoff (default) to Hardware. Do the same to your other com ports e.g. com2.
    On a normal line you should get connection speeds from between 44k-51k. Even better get rid of your old analogue modem and get a cable modem or ADSL (if in your area) and banish those awful speed problems forever.

I advise looking into broadband and see if it is available in your area and doing away with your old analogue modem once for all !

I happen to believe this guy

Article is attached.

The only realistic way of NOTICABLY increasing you connection speen is as nihil said phone you phone company and ask them to increase the gain on you phone line.
    This gives data priority over voice on your line, so data can now be sent in slightly bigger packets that before!

Another way is to get a gold plated cable to replace the one that comes from the back of your computer and goes into your phone socket. Its not as expensive as you think!! PC World in the UK do 8 meters of gold plated cable for £21 and trust me it is money well spent for dial up users.

Buying this and increasing your gain will most certainly increase you connection speed!