Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zestyfind....

thanx alot, i'm not understanding this, i'll just taker in to the pro's haha

Regal Making Handler
    I can understand that my friend, the trouble is you will not learn anything doing that. I no it can be a bit dounting for a newb. But there is nothing like screwing up a few comps to learn how to do things.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

yeah but you see i don't have the money to pay 65$ everytime the computer breaks.....might as well do it once and getter over with

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Whoa there Nyeff !!!!!!
    Follow the instructions from Jinxy, do it slowly AND carefully, then you SAVE the $65, and can do it again, for your mates even.........

It is ALWAYS hard the first time, but in the land of PC's it DOES get easier, we don't ALWAYS break 'em, just sometimes. That includes the Pro's that you alluded to previously.

Failing that, then try this thread by Soda Popinsky

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ht=hijack+this

But don't whatever you do, come to a site like this and say that you are NOT GOING TO TRY !!!
    Trust us.......... this is the FUN bit of computers.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Regal Making Handler
    Dont spend the money. This is realy quite easy. Download and install spybot search and destroy. You can get it here:
    http://download.com.com/redir?pid=10...-10289035.html

When this is installed reboot your computer as your computer starts up press F8. You will get a list of options use the up and down arrows to highlight safe mode. Then press enter. When your pc has started in safe mode run spybot. Let it do its thing, then reboot normaly.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hmmm.. well this one can be a real pain to remove.. spybot/adaware.. they can't find all the components of it.. depending on which variant of it is on the box.. zestyfind/Look2Me/spotresults all of these are connected... it's better known as VX2.BetterInternet or VX2/Transponder.. If you google up on those terms you'll see a bit more info about it.. here's a good info link about it at pestpatrol. perhaps you should try running pestpatrol on it..

It would all be rather easy (that's a relative term) if you were running an NT based OS.. as there is a great tool and procedure from a guru called Option^Explicit.. (you'll find him at the lavasoft forums.. go there if things get a bit too hairy for you).. I'll post the procedure written by Option^Explicit for the sake of other users.. as this method won't work for a win98 box due to the fact that the tool called VX2Finder will only run on an NT based OS..

here it is..

Please do the following:

Download the VX2Finder, version 1.0.0.13 from
    http://download.broadbandmedic.com/V.../VX2Finder.exe

1) Delete all files found(VX2Finder will "End Task" on up to 2 instances of Rundll32.exe automatically)
    You will get a message about "cannot delete this one" matching the same name in the Guardian Key.

2) Click "Open regedit" which will take you right to the Guardian Key(no need to search for it)

3) Hilite "Guardian", RightClick and choose
    Security/permissions, you'll get another
    window with 'advanced'..
    DE-select (uncheck) the lower box with
    "inheritable permissions"
    hit 'ok' and 'remove' on the following security prompts.

Restart computer.

4) On restart use VX2Finder again, select + delete the last file, click "User Agent$" will remove that entry from the registry.

5) Click "Open regedit" again, this time restoring the checkmark in "inheritable permissions"

6) Click "Guardian.reg" Deletes the Guardian Key.

7) Use Find again should produce a clean log of blank values.

8) Click "Restore Policy" to restore the Debug policy altered in the look2Me installation.(requires reboot to apply, but not immediatley neccessary)
    Also, here is a good thread to read.. look at the post(s) done by computerguy (the admin)

then take a look at this thread. Note what Option^Explicit says in that thread.. read all of it carefully..

now here's a part of the thread that might give you something to go on.. all the files for the randomly named dll's are 309kb.. so perhaps you can indentify the "bad files" by the size and digital signature .. here's a quote.. but read all the other things he has to say in that post and the others he made in that thread.

(from Option^Explicit )

*Make sure you set Folder Options to "Show All Files and Folders" as these have hidden attributes by default.
    Also be careful of the file names, these are very close to actual Windows names, so don't delete the wrong files.
    These will be hidden, read only, and 309kb in size. They have no properties but do have a Digital Signature for "Ni Tech Networking" under that tab.
    all else fails.. like I said.. go to lavasoft and beg for help from Option^Explicit..

and while you're there.. ask him if he'll release a version of VX2finder for win98/me

good luck.. keep us posted.. and see that page at pestpatrol.. in fact, search the pestpatrol site for VX2.. there's a number of pages about it there.. and maybe.. just maybe.. depending on which variant of VX2 you have.. pestpatrol "might" clean it up for you.

i gave into my computer...ima sad sad man yup, anyway i've had friends, family and other forums hell my buddie even posted on some forums to help but still a no go!!!
    I'm taking the piece of crapbox into the pro's...............

Thanx to anyone and everyone whom tried to help!

PEace

yeah but you see i don't have the money to pay 65$ everytime the computer breaks.....might as well do it once and getter over with
    I think the point people are trying to make is that it isn't that hard to remove nasties. And just because you spend the money to get it fixed, doesn't mean it's not going to happen again. If you do not understand the instructions being given, then ask for clarification. It's not unusual to feel like you are in over your head (I feel that way all the time)

The absolute worst thing that can happen is that you'll have to do a fresh install of your OS. Best case, you will learn a little about your system, a little about how things work, and a lot about how to prevent the same thing from happening again.

You service tech isn't going to be giving you any advice on how to protect yourself..that would cut into his bread and butter.

i've had friends, family and other forums hell my buddie even posted on some forums to help but still a no go!!!
    I would also suggest that is the wrong approach....(at least IMHO), you only end up with a dozen different opinions going 2 dozen different directions, and all you end up doing is stepping on each other's schlongs and making things worse.

I remember that helpless feeling....but also the resolve to get to know
    what is going on inside of that box. It is a year later and I'm glad I didn't give in!

Rome wasn't built in a day...shame, Nyeff already managed to post a HT log.
    Many don't even get that far.

i've been off and on computers for years and still know not a thing!
    and No i don't understand what yous are trying to tell me what i should do!
    alot of personal **** is going on right now so i'd much rather giver to the pro's, one less then to help me sleep at night, yaknow?