Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How many antivirii's can you install?

Well, let's put this into context a little?

Just because the UK is behind the 8 ball when it comes to broadband, don't use that as a yard stick to measure people "in the rest of the world". As a matter of fact, the UK is WAY behind most of the developed world in this regard. Percentage of growth of new broadband lines in the UK for 2003 was behind countries like China, Italy, and even Venezuela for cripe sake! You did managed to beat out Lithuania though. Congrats!
    1. There are problems in Europe because of the infamous "dot com" bandwagon or "bubble"..........a lot of providers put a massive amount of their venture capital into these worthless shells, and lost the lot...........this is money that should, by rights, have gone into expanding the infrastructure and obtaining more customers. We are suffering for that!

2. Italy is easily explained, their telcos/ISPs were very greedy on prices so people did not use dial up very much. Most people used the net when they got to work, it was a sort of tax free benefit?....not good for security IMHO Now that competition has increased, the price has fallen........and that is first hand information from the chief statistician of a northern Italian province. Having these discussions with other European contacts I do not see the infrastructure investment..............just a shower of vultures squabbling over a roadkill........every month I get solicitations to change my telco, gas and electricity suppliers..........still the same providers, just different people billing me?

3. Percentage growth? has anyone heard the phrase "there are lies, damned lies and statistics"? So I have a country with 10 broadband users, next year I have 20............hey that's a 100% increase?

4. At the end of the day, and before the setting of the sun, the rules of the Electronisphere (my word) will be obeyed. With good luck and a following wind, the maximum range of copper wire ADSL/SDSL is 5,500 yards from the telephone exchange. If there has been little usage, the growth statistics will seem very large, but then you will hit the major capital investment barrier? Also, if you have been upgrading your exchanges to fibre optics, but your land lines are copper wire...............DSL won't work..(I guess we like to find these things out the hard way over here)

I think that more relevant and interesting statistics are number of internet accounts per head of population, and type of connection?

As for WIN98, I do some spare time helping for charitable & non-profit organisations where we provide refurbished computers for old, infirm, educationally challenged and low income people. These are generally donated ex-corporate boxes and we tend to use Win98SE, as that is about the best the hardware can support. So, YES, it is a common operating system in the UK still, as my groups are replicated throughout the Country.

Just a few thoughts

For thoes of you that have more than one antivirus or firewall installed and disagree with jp May seem like alot of work but, Goto www.pcpitstop.com test your box. than uninstall one them and retest, see if your speeds in any area change?

And then let us know. I believe that facts that you can prove are allways best. I can only agree with people like " JP " and most if not all of the senior members becuase they have been doing this for a living and or most of there lives. Me on the other hand can only give people advice for what I know "car audio/video , Electronics - 12volt" becuase thats what I have done most of my adult life, and am now going for my ccna(testing is 6 weeks from now this is the most I have ever had to study.). Thanks everyone you have definitely made more things clearer for me and I hope others!!!!

sounds like a good way to find out

With avg, norton 2003 AV, and zone alarm 4.5.594

Processor (CPU)
    Millions of instructions per second (MIPS) 6067 6122 0.100 612
    Memory (RAM)
    Megabytes per second (MB/sec) 5155 5240 0.100 524
    Video 2D
    Megapixels per second (MP/sec) 123 137 1.000 137
    Disk I/O
    Megabytes per second (MB/sec) 3 2 1.000 2
    Tips
    Deduction for red/yellow flags 2 -10 -20
    Total Weighted Score 1249 1255

same with out zone alarm

Processor (CPU)
    Millions of instructions per second (MIPS) 6067 6124 0.100 612
    Memory (RAM)
    Megabytes per second (MB/sec) 5155 5242 0.100 524
    Video 2D
    Disk I/O
    Tips
    Total Weighted Score 1249 1255

hum not much different IS THIS IS A PROPER BENCHMARK TEST?

now no zone alarm and no avg

Processor (CPU)
    Memory (RAM)
    Megabytes per second (MB/sec) 5155 5245 0.100 525
    Video 2D
    Megapixels per second (MP/sec) 123 138 1.000 138
    Disk I/O
    Tips
    Total Weighted Score 1249 1257

Well now i see a difference, about .00159% is that a significant change ?

went to msconfig and turned every thing off

Processor (CPU)
    Memory (RAM)
    Megabytes per second (MB/sec) 5155 5249 0.100 525
    Video 2D
    Disk I/O
    Tips
    Total Weighted Score 1249 1256

my oh my I seem to have lost some thing well it may have been the asus software that runs the fans because they all went to full speed and I seem to have lost one point in speed, oh I see it, it looks like killing the nvidia stuff may have slowed down my vid card some.

system is as follows,

Brand/Model System Manufacturer System Name
    Type Desktop
    Serial Number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    BIOS Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V8X ACPI BIOS Revision 1013 08/18/2003
    System Board ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V8X REV 1.xx
    Brand/Model AMD Athlon
    Nominal Clock Speed 2000 MHz
    Measured Clock Speed 2000 MHz
    External Clock Speed 133 MHz
    CPU Load 0%
    Speed Rating 6124 (101% of 10292 similar)
    RAM installed 1024 MB
    Windows RAM 1024 MB
    Total RAM slots 3
    Available RAM slots 1
    Max RAM module size 1024 MB
    Memory Type 512+512+0;DIMM,DRAM,|Synchronous;T16
    Speed Rating 5249 MB/s (102% of 10292 similar)
    Partition format NTFS
    Cluster size 4 KB
    Drive label No Label
    Size 76308 MB
    Free space 68368 MB (90%)
    Junk files 45 MB (0%)
    Data fragmentation 20%
    File fragmentation 12%
    Uncached speed 2 MB/s (61%)
    Brand/Model NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    Resolution 1152x864 pixels
    Colors 16 million
    DirectX version 5.3.0000000.900 built by: DIRECTX
    OpenGL version 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    Acceleration options Enabled
    Performance 137.45 MP/s (112% of 805 similar)
    Bandwidth Down 1273 Kbits/sec
    Bandwidth Up 211 Kbits/sec
    Average Ping 52 ms
    Ping Loss 0%
    TCP Receive Window (default)
    External IP Address 0.0.0.0(really didnt think i would did you)
    Internal IP Address 0.0.0.0
    Browser MSIE 6.0
    IE current cache 10 MB
    IE max cache 2385 MB
    Windows XP SP1
    Full Version Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1
    First Install Sat Dec 20 2003
    Free Resources 90%
    Fonts Installed 183
    Windows Scripting Version 5.6.0.6626
    CPU Load 0%
    ActiveX Security Issues None
    IE Restricted Zone Permissions None
    System AMD Athlon, 2000MHz 87% 1000 MHz
    Memory 1024 MB 99% 256 MB
    Disk 74.52 GB 74% 20 GB

Ok what did this tell me, first I will keep running avg and norton side by side, second I have enough machine to run a bunch of stuff at startup{but I dont, I do a lot of video editing and need my machine to run fast}, third even JP's opinion can be just that; an opinion.
    I only have three degrees in comp sci two AS's and a BS but even more importantly I work in the real world, I administer several commercial accounts and two web servers (ick ms2003 boxes), and see dozens of home boxes a week for many years now.

the most important thing, is to keep what ever you run UPDATED

PS if anybody has a better benchmark test let me know I am open to change.
    tired of being called an ass

AS the big boss said. install 1 on the box, end of story. I know symantec software has issues running in parallel with other similar objected software like, mcafee. Going ahead and installing loads of this stuff is just asking for bloated up registry!!!
    see the sarcasim in my smile ????

OK YOU ALL ARE THE PROS AND I AM JUST A SCUMBAG, SO SEE YOU ALL SOME OTHER SITE
    tired of being called an ass

If one software firewall and one AV is going to slow your computer down enough to have a significant impact on you, it's time for a computer upgrade anyway. As long as you don't get too crazy with the idea and throw a ton of crap on there, you should perform fine, as the performance drop won't be enough to notice. Or so my experience has so far demonstrated, anyway.

So what's up with the egos folks?

I have NIS (anti virus disabled) and Mcafee antivirus on a P233MMX box and it is running fine. No performance problems. By the way, you cant enable both because they both want to hook file system calls. When enabling both (i tried) macfee abends.

Altough i got attacked and infected with that configuration, i think this is one will fit most of the home nets around
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.